Oddity "AM. TEL & TEL CO." insulator?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm high-stress and not adequately socialized. This place is a learning-experience in multiple subjects for me. I'm not like other people, and it's hard to put myself in their frame of mind and such.
I'm sorry if I seem like a jerk. So the double-printing of embossing on many bottle-bases comes from moving glass? I cause threads to drift. That I'm used to seeing-- I expect it. This has drifted, but the information I was looking for has mostly been gathered, so most any other use for this thread will suffice. On the insulator: Can we narrow-down an age more?

2find4me

Reaction score
I've got the same one, with 17 on the top. (The 7 is backwards)

BillinMo

Reaction score
No worries, Robert [:)]... and no, you don't seem like a jerk. In my opinion, you sounded a bit frustrated is all. For your insulator, the strange combination of marks on the dome COULD be the result of ghost embossing OR it might be an attempt to blot out old shop numbers/letters OR it could be some stray tool marks OR any combination of these. It's really hard to say when I'm looking at a photo. It's not always possible to tell even after looking at the insulator in person. Sorry I don't have a definite answer there. For age, it's really hard to tell with any certainty. Brookfield moved their factory to New Jersey and changed sand source around 1906, and the New Jersey products tend to be darker colors than this. I'd say your insulator is probably from mid 1890s to 1906 or so.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi again Robert/ Some where I have an insulator that was cast in a mold and was left there to heat up the mold - it had a lot of damage roughness to the glass surface, RED M. Some think the glass was just used to heat up the mold for production. RED M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi