7up Vancouver B.C.-Country Club Beverages Company Limited.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

604Greg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Greg! I know those blue bottles, at least the two on the right. They're Japenese alcohol bottles, not sure exactly what beverage they contained. I know they're sometimes referred to as sake bottles. Fairly common finds in BC, yours are fairly late examples since they're ABM. They likely date to just before the war, or maybe even after if your area had a Japanese population that remained after the internment.
Is your 7Up bottle embossed on the neck? I didn't think that they were still using those bottles in 1941 but I'm also not sure when they stopped and switched to fully ACL bottles.

Thanks for the welcoming and thanks for identifying those bottles. I'd also found an amber in the same size that had Japanese embossed on the neck. As for the 7Up, yes it has embossing and looks identical to the one Canadacan posted to start this thread.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Greg! I know those blue bottles, at least the two on the right. They're Japenese alcohol bottles, not sure exactly what beverage they contained. I know they're sometimes referred to as sake bottles. Fairly common finds in BC, yours are fairly late examples since they're ABM. They likely date to just before the war, or maybe even after if your area had a Japanese population that remained after the internment.
Is your 7Up bottle embossed on the neck? I didn't think that they were still using those bottles in 1941 but I'm also not sure when they stopped and switched to fully ACL bottles.

I believe those quarts were used for a while with paper label, probably till 53 when the 'shield' label came out. So how late was that particular bottle used with the 'Country Club Beverages' embossed on the base?..I'm not positive but mine is dated 1945.

Burkenhill

Reaction score
Hi Canadian, I'm from Mission, BC too!
Here are 2 Vancouver bottles I have from Dominion Glass. Both have some less than usual points to note about them.

The embossed one with the embossed 7up on the neck is an 8 bubble and on the bottom shows the large 7up in the middle, Dominion Glass logo at the 12 o'clock position, an 8 at the 3 o'clock position, a 5 at 3 o'clock and a 7 at the 9 o'clock position. The swim lady has 8 bubble floating above her and notably, she only has one foot. The back label is a 1a from Bill Lockhart identification which dates it 1937-1938. Embossed7up a.jpgEmbossed7up b.jpgEmbossed7up c.jpgMy apologies for these pictures that are laying down. They were properly oriented while on my computer.
The second bottle is a 7 bubble on the main shield of the logo but there are 8 bubbles floating up above the swim lady. For what appears to be a 1944 bottle, I believe it highly unusual for the swim lady to (still) have one 1 foot. In most cases that had been corrected since about 1940, at least with most other glass manufacturers. What is particularly unique with this bottle is the back label. Maybe others on this forum have, but I have never seen the specific words on this label and it is not mentioned anywhere in the extensive investigations and written works by Bill Lockhart.ACL7up a.jpgACL7up b.jpgACL7up c.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice BC 8-bubble! There definitely aren't too many of those floating around, and yours is one of the better condition ones that I've seen. I have no idea why the Vancouver plant used that other slogan on the back, not sure if any other bottlers used it. I guess Vanvouver was fairly late on the standardization of labels. I've definitely seen that one before though, and I think I might even have one myself.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hi Canadian, I'm from Mission, BC too!
Here are 2 Vancouver bottles I have from Dominion Glass. Both have some less than usual points to note about them.

The embossed one with the embossed 7up on the neck is an 8 bubble and on the bottom shows the large 7up in the middle, Dominion Glass logo at the 12 o'clock position, an 8 at the 3 o'clock position, a 5 at 3 o'clock and a 7 at the 9 o'clock position. The swim lady has 8 bubble floating above her and notably, she only has one foot. The back label is a 1a from Bill Lockhart identification which dates it 1937-1938.My apologies for these pictures that are laying down. They were properly oriented while on my computer.
The second bottle is a 7 bubble on the main shield of the logo but there are 8 bubbles floating up above the swim lady. For what appears to be a 1944 bottle, I believe it highly unusual for the swim lady to (still) have one 1 foot. In most cases that had been corrected since about 1940, at least with most other glass manufacturers. What is particularly unique with this bottle is the back label. Maybe others on this forum have, but I have never seen the specific words on this label and it is not mentioned anywhere in the extensive investigations and written works by Bill Lockhart.

Hi great to meet a local collector!
So as far as I know any bottles up to about 1937-38 were paper labeled. Still to date the earliest we have seen for an 8 bubble that was dateable is 1938, with those the first number to the left of the Dominion mark is the month code, so you will find bottles with numbers 1-12...my bottle has 5 so that would be May. The letter code came in around 1940.

I have a single foot clearly dated 1946, and also one I'm 99% positive is dated Jan/Feb 1947, it has the letter code A.. Then in 1947 the change occurred with the double foot and they dropped the 'sip it slowly' slogan, my example is dated March/April 1947. The earliest one I have with the 'sip it slowly' slogan is from May/June 1942, I have no bottles from 1940 or 41.
I have also seen this slogan on a Calgary 7up, and as well a no city marked from Consumers glass and one from Soo Falls. I'm sure there are many more out there, you just need to see the bottles dated between 1942-47.

One of our members here and a friend of mine really has his eye on the ball with these transition dates. Bill Lockhart's articles are superb!...but they mainly focus on USA bottles which is why you did not see the slogan mentioned. Another interesting thing is the fact the 8 bubbles ran as late 1946 in some US states.

7up water mark dated.jpg

20191113_125509.jpg

Last edited:

tsims

Reaction score
Well today I sort of hit pay dirt!!!..stopped in at one my favorite shops and found this embossed 28oz...or it may even be a 30oz? 7up bottle.I've never come across this size in all my years so I decided to take it home....one day maybe I'll find the label to go with it.It is a Dominion glass bottle from the Red Cliff Alberta plant and is dated 1945.In all honesty I thought I'd find a 7oz ACL 8bubble before I found this gem![;)] [attachment=7up-2.jpg] [attachment=7up-3.jpg] [attachment=7up-1.jpg]

tsims

Reaction score
That's a nice BC 8-bubble! There definitely aren't too many of those floating around, and yours is one of the better condition ones that I've seen. I have no idea why the Vancouver plant used that other slogan on the back, not sure if any other bottlers used it. I guess Vanvouver was fairly late on the standardization of labels. I've definitely seen that one before though, and I think I might even have one myself.
Well today I sort of hit pay dirt!!!..stopped in at one my favorite shops and found this embossed 28oz...or it may even be a 30oz? 7up bottle.I've never come across this size in all my years so I decided to take it home....one day maybe I'll find the label to go with it.It is a Dominion glass bottle from the Red Cliff Alberta plant and is dated 1945.In all honesty I thought I'd find a 7oz ACL 8bubble before I found this gem![;)] [attachment=7up-2.jpg] [attachment=7up-3.jpg] [attachment=7up-1.jpg]

So i got lucky and found 4 of these large u7P bottles today under an old, old house. They are in good shape, no chips just dirty inside (where's my bottle brush) mine are exactly the same but instead of a 6 with an under score mine has a 5. Any idea what the value might be on these bottles? I don't need 4 of these big boys.

tsims

Reaction score
Great find! I really wish I'd picked up the one of those I saw in Coombs years ago, I had no idea how rare they are at the time. Your new one is definitely nicer than the one I saw though. I still keep an eye out for BC 7-Ups but haven't seen any outside of the province so far.

I have 2 of the 7oz Seven up bottles that say bottled In Nanaimo, didn't realize until i saw this post and went and had a look. Bottled in BC 7ups aren't that popular i take it?

Canadacan

Reaction score
So i got lucky and found 4 of these large u7P bottles today under an old, old house. They are in good shape, no chips just dirty inside (where's my bottle brush) mine are exactly the same but instead of a 6 with an under score mine has a 5. Any idea what the value might be on these bottles? I don't need 4 of these big boys.
Awesome!... I think the value should be in the 15-30 range...might be tough to get 30 because they have no labels.

Canadacan

Reaction score
I have 2 of the 7oz Seven up bottles that say bottled In Nanaimo, didn't realize until i saw this post and went and had a look. Bottled in BC 7ups aren't that popular i take it?
No they over all are very common, it's the early ACL 8 bubbles that are not.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora