Need Help with an old bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dkoltress

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and to bottle collecting. I found this bottle over the summer and am trying to figure out what the bottle was used for and a price. The things I do know is that it bears the symbol from the Owen-Illinois Glass Co., was manufacture at the Charleston, WV plant and I believe it is from 1938. There are no labels or lettering on the sides of the bottle to indicate what it was used for. The upper sides have a design to them. The bottom shows the Owens-Illinois symbol, a 6 to the left, an 8 to the right, 1938 below it, and 15 below that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Dave

Attachments

• 4d9f4bd36905484da754a743c88c9d0b.jpg
    4d9f4bd36905484da754a743c88c9d0b.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 35a5ab1d957b49a9bf234becc8bedc59.jpg
    35a5ab1d957b49a9bf234becc8bedc59.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 52890050ebd14c1bbd4b56e59f46d577.jpg
    52890050ebd14c1bbd4b56e59f46d577.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 76

botlguy

Reaction score
The shape and design does not remind me of anything I am familiar with. A wild guess would be something in the cosmetic or food line. I don't think it has a lot of monetary value, too generic for most collectors. Maybe $2 - $5 on a good day. Most collectors want it identified with a specific company or type of contents. Jim

Blackglass

Reaction score
Hey hey, The bottle is in fact from 1938 and was produced at the Charelston plant, you got your research spot-on! It would be impossible to pinpoint exactly what your bottle held unless a labeled specimen were located, but judging by the shape and lip finish it almost certainly was a food bottle. The lip finish is like that of what ketchup and other sauce bottles of the time commonly had, made to fit a sort or crown-cork closure variant. It looks to be small in size; maybe it held hot sauce? Hard to say. As far as monetary value goes, I'm going to just say it's a "personal interest" piece. It has virtually no value to collectors, unfortunately. Happy hunting & take care! Bottle collecting is a very fun hobby to get in to and you're bound to come across a treasure sooner or later.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Blackglass said:
The lip finish..... made to fit a sort or crown-cork closure variant. It looks to be small in size; maybe it held hot sauce? Hard to say.
I'm thinking in that line too. The top reminds me of a Priof, sort of. Or maybe a foil cap like dairies used. Maybe a juice? My next thought is cocktail sauce or salad dressing with the wide mouth.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The big decision is: What type of glass do you want to collect.The value is relative to the method of how the glass item was made.Hand blown glass is my main interest. It involves the use of a blow pipe that a maker got a the the gob of hot glass on, and then proceeded to puff air into it , marver table and rolling to shape the glass to a form that would provide glass at the proper thickness - when he blew that shape in the mold; made for creating the bottle wanted. The early molds were made of stone, wood, and/or metal. There was usually two halves that closed around a bottom plate, as heinserted his shaped parison in the cavity; and blew the glass out to the mold walls.. After thatwas done the assisteant would open the mold and the bottle maker would cut it off the low pipe and a handler would put it in an annealing oven to reheat it some and slow cool the product to nearly room temperature. The blowing and shaping of a glass product had to have this annealing to keep it from exploding from the internal stress in the shaped product.One time we had an ashtray on our coffee table that exploded into many pieces. Which can happen when moved glass is not stress relieved. That is a long speal - but it covers the basic reality of the glass making process. RED M.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The shape reminds me of some Salt & Pepper shakers I have found. Thats my guess. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora