Mist of the morning (Sole Agents) bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
I been reading up a bit about Bitters . It seem that a company could distill Whiskey and by simply put some herbs in it ,It became Bitters . So at any time before bottling a whiskey could become a bitters or for that manner any liquor could. Oh an from what I've read the higher the alcohol content the better.You say why would this happen .Simple to make a whole new client base . A whiskey now becomes a medicine is some folk eyes . So these bottle could have been both .First comes Mist of the Morning Whiskey , Times change sales drop Bitters are the New thing add some herbs print a new label .Advertise as a Bitters now not only does dad take a shot before dinner but mom and grandmaw does to for digestion of course. Now as far as bottle go its well know that bottle for one product were reused for another. I once saw a case of Congress Water bottles with Ink and Shoe blacking label's. I was luck enough to own 2 of them. There's one of them in the back of this pic.Bill

Attachments

• 9043313ae849464eb20ebb346a74873a.jpg
    9043313ae849464eb20ebb346a74873a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 95

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
It's my understanding bitters grew from an unreasonable whiskey tax and by tweaking it and renaming it bitters, makers avoided this tax.......Jack

andy volkerts

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
Okay, I get that Andy.Mine was more a general comment than any specific knowledge on Owl. Liken it to an embossed Kilmer, Davis, Pierce etc. with concoction name or a plain Kilmer, Davis, Pierce etc. that could have had something else.I'll even expand on "bitters" and include "cure" vs "remedy" for some.Perhaps I worded it wrong.
Hey Cows, I wasn't giving you any guff re your post. I was just stating the fact that a lot of the early info on bottles isn't accurate. I think we all realize that bottles were reused by other companies other than the original maker of the bottle. The statement has been made by collectors that Owl Drug sold whiskey in those square whisky top bottles, when actually they didn't, and nobody else did either. At least there hasn't been any found with labels on them Owl or not. And there is at least two brands of bitters that were also embossed as cures, and those are Hent'z and De Gurleys. Plus a cure aint a cure unless its embossed as such or has its paper label attached, and remedy doesn't count. plus dontwipe, BIM everything, and don't put fake paper labels on your bottles[:)][:)][:)]. I think that covers it all..........Andy

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
cannibalfromhannibal said:
I also didn't make clear my point, that "some folks just don't want to know the reality of things" extends to the reality that (most) hard core collectors of bitters, whiskey, cure, (& anything else) collectors look for, DO want to see it embossed. I personally am always looking for the original reality of things, but there is also the undeniable reality of the masses, be it what it may. If they want to believe, so be it, I guess. I have a clear square bottle with a brandy neck finish and a strange tooled top that looks to be reworked slightly for possibly a shaker cap. It is embossed Augauer's Vital Drops. I most certainly hold the belief it is a bitters similar to an early Angostura flavoring type bitters, but until one with a label shows up, who really knows? Other than Augauer is not known for any other product than bitters (that I am aware of,) it is my only "evidence" and thus makes me one of the masses. I have often seen local sodas "pirated" by other local soda companies (from neighboring towns in some cases) who would simply slap a paper label on it and reuse it. Likely what caused much of the embossed Bottle To Be Returned style embossing, but I am just surmising. Jack
So true in every statement but on the sodas.

Also very true which I think is what Dean was getting at. The label is on a plain hutch (maybe blank plate, I can't see it). If the label doesn't have matching embossment. there is no proof. Even if it does it's uncertain to be original to the bottle. As to the Augauer's Vital Drops, well that is a strange dossage. Your other post from a few years back had Matt's link to prepro.com. http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view_vendor.php?vid=ORD4686The add isn't on page 17 of the reprint of Fike but is on page 30. Does anyone have the new Ham books, because yours is just not in the old one. Well the update to the old one has 134.5 and it seams it may be the one except in green. Man, this is the best thread. Thanks Mike, please come back. If you don't, I'll bug you on the phone. [:)]Maybe I'll call just for the H of it, haven't talked in awhile.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
I notice it currently appears on ebay and at $510. Doing well with 3 1/2 days left.......brave with no reserve........not me! Jack

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
cowseatmaize, you are correct. This is a great thread. Nice to see a few opinions being offered up in a very civil manner.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis