ERIE CANAL

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
Can any one tell me is all the ERIE CANAL filled in with dirt..pavement etc..and has any one on here ever went looking for bottles along it or in... if still a partial water way at places?Seems like some old bottles could be found in it are along it.THANKS! JUST WONDERING.JAMIE

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Glassman, from my research and family excursions along the canal it is doubtful that there is much to be found in the canal. On the first two versions of the canal, it was drained in the winter to be patched. Near Schenectady, New York there are some areas where the pre barge canal version of the canal are still visible. I would guess that some stuff might be found if you knew where to look and could sneak in. i am not using any more capital letters as i keep having to start over when i try to put a capital letter in the middle of a sentence. i know of some bottles that were found in the finger lakes while diving. there are some spots near syracuse where dredged material has been thrown up on the bank. most of the old canals are still in the right of way for the canal. i would think that digging privies in the myriad of towns along the way would be a better bet. great idea. now i have another research idea. here in missouri the margins of most navigable rivers have been cleaned off and anything antique is long gone. someone else might come along with a better answer. this is just my observations. scott

sunrunner

Reaction score
towns like Rome and Herkimer ,Amsterdem any town that have a lock . look for the old tow path.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Obviously I am having computer problems. This is my third attempt to chime in.First of all - My Grandfather Walter E Halderman was an Engineer that worked on it from Albany to Buffalo. Secondly we drove and stopped along it from Geneva to the Rochester area.My main interest was the Clyde Glass Company, that was at Clyde N.Y. They shipped a lot of their glass by canal boats from there to New York City and west to Chicago. The Clyde Glass Company made a lot of milk glass items - from ladies dresser dishes and bottles - to their famous Fire Douser Bottle made of milk glass with a hand blown stopper.I have attended sales near Clyde NY and purchased a lot of glass canes that were made there. At one auction I even got a box of broken cane pieces that a glass blower had brought home, and saved them because he made them. I still have five or six Clydre Glass canes. RED M.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac