English Torpedo Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TROG

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase early English Torpedo bottles dating around 1840 -1860 .Also after Pictorial American Pot Lids Thanks David

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well David - You didn't get a lot of replies. I hav collected a few of them and was wanting to put together a picture study of them. There isn't much information available about the making and applications of them except for ballast and keeping the corks wet. Do you have any selective book references, RED Matthews <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Red,I do not know of any books linked only to Torpedo bottles. These bottles have been mistakenly called a Hamilton bottle but Hamilton was only the patentee of the contents in the very early 1800,s. If you post some photos of your bottles I may be able to give you a rough age by changes in lip style.Regards David

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
TROG said:
These bottles have been mistakenly called a Hamilton bottle but Hamilton was only the patentee of the contents in the very early 1800,s. Regards David
I did not know that. Were there patents on the two main styles at all? I always called the rounded bottom that actually look more torpedo like a torpedo and the pointy ended, somewhat but not really egg shaped, a Hamilton.[8|]

peejrey

Reaction score
I have a torpedo (round bottom) or two, but they are all rolled tops with an apparent snap case like tooling.. Not sure, but definitely not 1840s. Cool none the less.

bottle man

Reaction score
In reference to what Red says about torpedo bottles being for ballast and keeping the cork wet, I thought the same thing untill someone who collects these types of bottle told me they were made that way so the bottom wouldn't blow out just like champagne bottles are kind of reverse but the same Idea so as to keep the pressure off the flat bottom. Does anyone agree with this as it makes sense to me.

TROG

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
TROG said:
These bottles have been mistakenly called a Hamilton bottle but Hamilton was only the patentee of the contents in the very early 1800,s.Regards David
I did not know that. Were there patents on the two main styles at all? I always called the rounded bottom that actually look more torpedo like a torpedo and the pointy ended, somewhat but not really egg shaped, a Hamilton.[8|]
The egg shaped or Pointy ended bottle is normally called a Hamilton or Torpedo bottle although as previously mentioned Hamilton only patented the contents. The round bottom ones are known as a Cylinder, Round bottom or Maugham,s bottle and again Maugham only patented the original contents in that style of bottle which have a registered date of 1845 embossed as well as Maughams Patent Carrara Water

TROG

Reaction score
bottle man said:
In reference to what Red says about torpedo bottles being for ballast and keeping the cork wet, I thought the same thing untill someone who collects these types of bottle told me they were made that way so the bottom wouldn't blow out just like champagne bottles are kind of reverse but the same Idea so as to keep the pressure off the flat bottom. Does anyone agree with this as it makes sense to me.
These bottles were definitely made to lay on there sides to keep the corks wet to stop the gas escaping through a dried out cork

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown