John G. Epping Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jblaylock

Reaction score
I picked up another, similar, Epping Ginger Ale to go with there Kentucky Club.

I loves these bottles.
436190be1d2a9673bbb8c06b5f106f0e.jpg
dd494984562993e3590b4b077f25c9d0.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

SODABOB

Reaction score
Those are cool, thanks for sharing.

I'd still love to know the truth to Epping "inventing" the Amber bottle.

Please tell us what you know so far about Epping "inventing" the Amber bottle. I've never heard that before and would like to hear more about it and possibly do some research into it.

Thanks

Bob

jblaylock

Reaction score
Josh

I'm seeing literally hundreds of ads and articles about Epping Bottling but the majority are advertisement about this or that brand of soft drink and some are about beer. The articles touch on various aspects of the operation over the years but most of what I've seen so far I believe you already know. However, I still have a lot more to look at so don't give up on me. In the meantime, could you please compile a list of the soft drink brands you already know about so I can zero in on some brands you might not know about. For example, the first article below is for a brand called "Mit-Che" which I don't recall you mentioning before, although you may have and I forgot. I'm also curious about the Orange Crush ad that sounds like Epping invented the amber, krinkly acl bottle. Read the (two part) article and tell me what you make of it.

Note: The name of the newspaper and date can be seen when you open each attachment. Hopefully you can glean some tid bits of information from the following. I will be posting others as I find them.

View attachment 169598

View attachment 169599

View attachment 169600

View attachment 169601

View attachment 169602
You already did the research Bob.

A long time ago, when you researched the heck out of JGE. I was specifically taking about the amber krinkly bottle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

jblaylock

Reaction score
Please tell us what you know so far about Epping "inventing" the Amber bottle. I've never heard that before and would like to hear more about it and possibly do some research into it.

Thanks

Bob

Did you see the above quote, Bob? It's one of the attachments. It's a newspaper article you dug up.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Josh

I didn't forget the research I did - I just forgot the specifics. Plus, my memory isn't what it used to be. I'm attaching the article I think you are referring to so hopefully it can be read without having to open it via the numbered links (at least they appear as numbers on my end). The article is from the Courier Journal and dated January 23, 1939. Using this as a starting point, I'm going to see what else I can find, if anything. But it may take a few days so please bear with me.

Thanks,

Bob

Footnote: Off topic, but I wonder where the phrase "bear with me" originated and exactly what it originally meant - aside from the obvious current meaning?

[ If necessary - Save and Zoom+ to read ]

Epping Article Orange Crush (1).jpg

Epping Article Orange Crush Courier Journal Jan 23, 1939 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's one definition of the phrase "bear with me"

The "bear" here is the old verb "to carry". You are asking someone to carry a burden along with you, until you both get to the destination. In the case of a long and rambling story, one must carry (or bear) the tedious ins-and-outs, and continue to pay attention until the story-teller gets to the punch line.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm even more confused now than I was before. The Epping / Orange Crush article I just posted images of was published in 1939. But every source I can find says the Orange Crush Amber Krinkly bottle was first introduced in 1937. So something isn't right but I'm not sure what it is (Maybe its me that isn't right / Lol :confused: )

Notice in the 1939 article where it says ...

"The new bottle, developed after months of experimentation and research ..."

Does that mean months of experimentation in 1937 or 1939? But it can't mean 'months' during 1939 if the article was published in January. Yeah, something's not making sense!

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
PS

I'm going to double-check the Courier Journal January 23, 1939 date and see if its accurate. Maybe its wrong and that's where the problem is. I'll be back a little later with the results.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Yep! The Courier-Journal - Louisville, Kentucky - January 23, 1939 date is accurate - Here's the entire page with the date and everything ...

[ Save & Zoom+ to read ]

The_Courier_Journal_Mon__Jan_23__1939_.jpg

​? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Sorry, but I'm just finding more confusing information ...

1. Apparently the sources who claim the Krinkly Amber bottles were introduced in 1937 are either typos or just wrong.

2. Most of the sources I'm seeing now (including Michael Rosman's site) say the Amber Krinkly bottles were introduced in the Mid-1940s

3. The earliest newspaper article I can find for the Amber Krinkly bottle is the one I'm attaching - which is from ...

[ The Times ~ San Mateo, Ca. ~ May 1, 1946 ]

4. Okay, fine. But how do we explain the 1939 Epping article if the Amber Krinkly bottle wasn't introduced until the mid-1940s / 1946? We're talking about a full seven years between 1939 and 1946!

Orange Crush Amber The Times San Mateo Ca May 1, 1946 (1).jpg

Orange Crush Amber The Times San Mateo Ca May 1, 1946 (2).jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi