Can somebody help me date bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baylea

Reaction score
Ive started a bottle collection but, im having a hard time firguring out time periods that they come from. Im new to this site and im not sure how it works but, i was just wondering if someone could help me with more exiperance

baylea

Reaction score
My coke bottle

Attachments

• 3db14884df9d4900831834e84f818127.jpg
    3db14884df9d4900831834e84f818127.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 107

botlguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, I agree with Mitch in all respects. Please do not hesitate to come back with questions after looking over the recommended site, that is NOT meant as a put off. It just a more informative site that would take us weeks to explain. Jim

baylea

Reaction score
Yeah ive been on that site before and had a hard time going through the steps. And i think i kno what to look for i have many others but the picture i posted is a glass coke bottle its a twist top and its 16 floz. It would be much easier if it had like a slogan on it

sandchip

Reaction score
It will take a little time, but one day you'll be able to tell a lot just by holding a piece of glass about the size of a half-dollar. So much easier though if you can deal face-to-face with someone that already knows old glass, like at a bottle show.

baylea

Reaction score
Thanks i also have a screw cap short 7up bottle and another question ive heard of using citric acid to remove rust i have these mobile oil cans like with the red horse on it and my brother told me not to do it because i told him it could take the paint off. maybe i should give the rustyest one a rub through and see what happens

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Could you post a good group shot of the things your most interested in? That might help get the answers more quickly.

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Baylea,Keep picking up what ever kind of bottle interests you. Pretty soon you will be able to tell more about the container by the codes on the bottles. glassbottlemarks.com has lots of information about the codes and maker's marks on the bottles. After a while you will probably want to narrow your collection to concentrate on one or two types of bottles or ones from their hometown. Keep at it. As long as you can keep it organized, it's a collection. I would be careful with citrus based cleaners. They will take the oil off the can and may take the paint off as well. Be real gentle with the cleaner and use a soft cloth. I have messed up some old tins by using a nylon scrubber. Oops.When you find some more, post the pictures. Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18