Birds swing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
Here are a couple I found at a yard sale, The green is a 1971 wheaton figural and the yellow one I have no idea of its age but what attracted me to it was the perfect "birds swing" and the crude unevenness of the glass. There are no mold marks I could see and the base is strangely rippled. The main thing is the perfect swing!
DSCN3426_zpsjtv4fxoy.jpg
DSCN3428_zpsk4cbkvxy.jpg
DSCN3430_zpskci1z6md.jpg

coreya

Reaction score
I figured it was not old but couldn't pass it up when I saw the swing! It's funny though as it has NO mold marks just uneven glass distribution (heavy on the bottom) including the color which is clear on one side in a small area. BTW it was .50 cents so cheap entertainment![:D]

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So I have to work on this one. I have to say that I have worked on a lot of bird swing problems, And regarding the jar - they usually have a spike rather than a 'swing. I am going back to see the picture now. Bird swings occur in blow and blow formings. If the parison inside collapses enough in the transfer from the blank mold to the final mold = the touched glass pulls the swing. Since most jars are made on a press and blow machine the flaw is a vertical spike on the products bottom. I just went back again to look at the pictures again - and I would like to have that sample, because there had to be a plunger problem that lifted the gass arch that fell. I worked for Thatcher Glass for 15 years in supervision an engineering. RED Natthews

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
So that's what they call a bird swing? It looks like a tunnel bored by air. I was never sure what people meant in reference to such a feature. LOL. And to Red: I got a milk bottle made at Thatcher!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18