Bar Keepers Friend

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
I have used rock tumblers in the past to clean corroded/stained coins when I was metal detecting ALL the time. I would put the coins in and throw a little water and comet in and run it for about 24 hours. Works great... BKF is the best cleaner i can find as far as cleaning glass. Put some in with copper shot and let the shaking begin. It can remove many stains. However, I never thought about using a rock tumbler for bottles. I think it's a great idea and may look around for one with a larger container.

covert-

Reaction score
I love BKF. We cant get it here in Canada, we can get products that are close, but just dont work as well. I get it from the States when I can, that reminds me I am almost out! I have found it works great on ACLs and also works pretty well on porcelain enameled stuff(signs). I actually havnt tried using it on the inside of a bottle while shaking it around with some sort of abrasive(sand, small gravel, etc) but I will have to try that some time. I also use it for general cleaning. Works wonders on countertops in the kitchen or stovetops.
You can get BKF in Canada from Canadian Tire. I've been buying it there for a while: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bar-keepers-friend-powder-cleanser-0532226p.html#.VsUmmfIrKUk

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I just use Baby Oil in my bottles that are stained white. Bad staining is still quite cloudy, but light and medium staining pretty much goes away. It doesn't work on glass damaged by smokers.
I also use it on the outside.

Drawback is, you have an oily bottle, which I just wipe down with paper towel. You also may have a bottle that looks wet on the inside forever, as it forms droplets.
A dry bottle brush with paper towel can help this.

But, unlike spraying the bottles, it is quite reversible and should see the bottle in time return to its former state.

I will investigate the rock-tumbler idea when we stay over 50 F, as I have one.

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
I used to spray my bottles with WD-40, inside and out.
Bought a bottle off Ebay, put it on the shelf and 3 or 4 days later there was a lot baby oil in the bottom settled out.
From then on I used a bottle tumbler for inside and out.
I bought a 2 bottle used for $300.00 but my friend built his for less than $100.00
See 7oz Stylized letters on a Waco King of Beverage bottle below after tumbling

Last edited:

Gene

Reaction score
State Of Jefferson. The REAL Northen California
Thanks for the tip. I tried this on a couple of bottles that had white scale marks on the inside that I couldn't get off. I got the BTF and used it with water and some small, smooth fish tank gravel that I got at Walmart for cheap.

I just rocked the bottles back and forth for awhile, let them sit overnight and the BTF and gravel removed about 95% of the scale.

nranderson

Double Take
Reaction score
It was brought to my attention that a good strong denture cleaner dissolved in hot water in a bottle overnight will clean the sickness away from inside the bottle. I tried it and in some cases it was a miracle in others mixed results. I think the amount of cleaning depends on how aggressive mother earth has been to the bottle while buried.

Bottlebonkers

Reaction score
Just bought oxalic acid. What mix proportions do you use? Thanks. A

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi