Bar Keepers Friend

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeeSter

Reaction score
So... hey all! Still mostly just a lurker (except for that fly-by-night post ages ago... sorry!... I think I think y'all are intimidating with your mountains of knowledge lol!). Any-who, I felt compelled to share this for the rest of the lurkers who may have doubts about BKF. I've, of course, heard about it, but never seemed to run into it so I just kept on with my same old, same old routine. Soaking, or Dawn, or white vinegar, or Efferedent, or brushing, or what I like to call the "shake, rattle, and roll" - or various combinations thereof. Finally... my local shop starting carrying BKF powder so I snatched it up. Um... yea... AMAZING! This sad little bottle has been on my shelf for years, and was subjected to all my tricks. As you can see in the before, didn't work so much. The after photo was, literally, 15 short minutes of me just lazily rattling around some fish tank gravel, some BKF, and a bit of water while binge-ing on Netflix. (I hope the difference comes through in the pictures well - I lost the natural light. There's a storm brewin' here in the 603.) TL;DR - It's amazing. Buy it. Use it. Love it!

Attachments

• 586006b3f5ab450f804560dde5e8f281.jpg
    586006b3f5ab450f804560dde5e8f281.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 430
  • 5ec36a57a0c84221a283026d75bccb58.jpg
    5ec36a57a0c84221a283026d75bccb58.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 417

sandchip

Reaction score
Quite a difference. I'll have to try that sometimes.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bar Keepers Friend I think works better if left on the surface awhile to work. you can add water to mix as paste or dissolve in water but works best if left alone awhile to do the work its self. LEON.

DeeSter

Reaction score
I was definitely impressed! Whatever the hazy crud was that was in there was impervious to everything I tried. Obviously it wasn't truly sick or I would still be shaking it trying to polish it out but, nevertheless, this result makes me want to have a go at all the others I have just see if there'd be an improvement. Maybe, to Leon's point, I'll load the sink on Saturday and start soaking - then spend Sunday doing some shaking if there's a need. Good thing that paint I use only comes off with acetone - although I suppose I might enjoy re-highlighting cleaner, shinier ones! [:D]

Bixel

Reaction score
I love BKF. We cant get it here in Canada, we can get products that are close, but just dont work as well. I get it from the States when I can, that reminds me I am almost out! I have found it works great on ACLs and also works pretty well on porcelain enameled stuff(signs). I actually havnt tried using it on the inside of a bottle while shaking it around with some sort of abrasive(sand, small gravel, etc) but I will have to try that some time. I also use it for general cleaning. Works wonders on countertops in the kitchen or stovetops.

hemihampton

Reaction score
If you cant find Bar Keepers Friend you can use ZUD instead. They both contain the same active ingredient which is oxalic acid. Myself I cut out the middle man & just use 100% pure white Crystaline oxalic acid. LEON.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
I just bought a can of BFK and I am in love with it. I have a rock tumbler and I fill it with packing peanuts and put the bottle in there so it won't move and then I put some BFK water and copper pellets in the bottle and tumble my hazy meds and they are coming out like new. I am really impressed by Bar Keepers friend. So glad you shared this with us.

deenodean

Reaction score
Bixel said:
I love BKF. We cant get it here in Canada, we can get products that are close, but just dont work as well. I get it from the States when I can, that reminds me I am almost out!

I have found it works great on ACLs and also works pretty well on porcelain enameled stuff(signs). I actually havnt tried using it on the inside of a bottle while shaking it around with some sort of abrasive(sand, small gravel, etc) but I will have to try that some time.

I also use it for general cleaning. Works wonders on countertops in the kitchen or stovetops. 
Kyle, we can buy Bar Keepers Friend here in Nova Scotia at Home Hardware. Where I live I can only buy the powder but in other areas they also sell the liquid. I have never tried it but the guys here really like it, but it is not always 100% effective.

DeeSter

Reaction score
Wait bottleworm... you use a rock tumber!? Why the heck did I never think of that? Oh, I am so going to Wally-world and buying one instead of trolling the interwebs for a used bottle tumbler! Most of my haphazard collection will definitely fit in the inexpensive kid sized one lol (might have to jury-rig the opening but I've been known to be handy when it counts) And my cruddy ones are cruddy on the inside only. $40 is better than hundreds even if it doesn't end up being powerful enough!

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Yeah it works great. I have the large size drum my meds and some of my hutches fit in it. I fill the drum with packing peanuts and then get the bottle fill it with BFK, water and copper pellets then put it in the peanuts nice and snug and then put press and seal on the top to hold the stuff in and depending on how bad the stain is is how I determine how long to keep it in there. I can only do the inside but most of mine only have the stain on the inside so it works good for me. Hope it works for you.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi