Flea market find 7/26/15

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
That first bottle looks like a 19th century European apothecary bottle with a ground-out and polished pontil where the 185 is scratched in the base. If you have a scale, you should see if it weighs 185 grams (6.5 ounces) as it may have been marked like that so someone could easily weigh it and determine how much of the contents were left inside. I've actually done the same thing for my containers for chemicals and other materials.

johnmhamilton

Reaction score
Plumbata said:
That first bottle looks like a 19th century European apothecary bottle with a ground-out and polished pontil where the 185 is scratched in the base. If you have a scale, you should see if it weighs 185 grams (6.5 ounces) as it may have been marked like that so someone could easily weigh it and determine how much of the contents were left inside. I've actually done the same thing for my containers for chemicals and other materials.
I only have a cheap kitchen scale which says the bottle is 182g or 6.4oz

johnmhamilton

Reaction score
treasurekidd said:
Hi John, I hate to say it but that med looks like a fairly modern decorative piece, not too old at all. Someone else may correct me, but I'm thinking a modern piece. The Hicks, Cantrell and Caldwelles are all nice bottles but all fairly common. The Kepler hutch appears to be number NY0055 in the hutch book, and it's listed as an error bottle, as the "Alexander Bay" should read "Alexandria Bay". Not listed as rare or scarce, but a nice local bottle, and an error bottle too. http://www.hutchbook.com/Bottle%20Directory/HutchSearchResults.aspx?Primary_Name=Kepler&Manufacturer=&City=&Color=&County=&Mold_Type=&State=NY&Plate_Type=&Territory=&Pictures=&Region=&Start_Height=&End_Height=&Country=&Start_Width=&End_Width=&Bottle_Number=&Start_Marked_Year=&End_Marked_Year=&Sub_Categories=&Shape=&All_Embossing=&Rarity=&Front_Embossing=&Added=&Back_Embossing=&Updated=&Base_Embossing=&Comments=&Find_Hutches=Find+Hutchinsons&Source=Attributes
Treasurekidd,Thanks for the reply. I had already researched the Kepler hutch and seen the Hutchbook results. I plan on sending them a better photo of mine since they currently don't have one available.

Plumbata

Reaction score
182 grams on a cheap scale sounds close enough to correspond with the etched and scratched 185. With the ground and polished pontil and the significant base wear it looks 100% original and legit to me.

johnmhamilton

Reaction score
Plumbata said:
182 grams on a cheap scale sounds close enough to correspond with the etched and scratched 185. With the ground and polished pontil and the significant base wear it looks 100% original and legit to me.
Cool! Do you think it is early, mid, or late nineteenth century?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado