When do you think these were from?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I was exploring an abandoned building today and was wondering about when you think these carts in the pics on here were from? I cannot help but show-off how awesome the place is. So click the blue words! [:D]I found several of these scattered around. I also found a shard to a tooled bottle, a piece to another bottle and the base to at least 1. I found records-info dating to the 1937 along with a freight-sticker dated to 1938. The first extinguisher was last checked in '77 and there is an alarm valve dated to 1942. There is some pretty neat graffiti, too. Among other interesting things, I found an early decal on a door and furniture scattered about rooms abandoned long ago. The place is totally unsafe but I'll certainly be going back.Next door is the remains of the 1870s-built Muskegon Brewing Co. This building may have been used by them at one point.
Exploring%2Ban%2Babandoned%2Bbuilding%2B074.JPG
Exploring%2Ban%2Babandoned%2Bbuilding%2B061.JPG
Exploring%2Ban%2Babandoned%2Bbuilding%2B073.JPG

Plumbata

Reaction score
Really cool building and pictures, I clicked them all. Those old bottle shards are intriguing, think there might be intact ones anywhere? Crawlspaces full of goodies? Those industrial/freight carts are really cool, not sure how old (figuring '20s or earlier) but there would probably be some manufacturer information embossed on the cast wheels or mounting assemblies, though you'd probably need to lift them up to get a good look. The wheels are actually worth some particularly good money, just look at completed listings for "industrial cart wheels". My dad and I found a rotting cart dumped in the woods and saved the set to give to a friend who wanted to build a "mining cart" for his yard, and for either decor or hard use they seem pretty popular. I'm not suggesting that you go disassemble and appropriate all the abandoned cast wheel assemblies, but it would be a shame to have them trashed when the building eventually gets demolished. Wonder if there is a way to get permission to grab them all; they'd definitely generate some good bottle-purchasing money.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thanks. :) There was a dead animal in the room with the shards-- I'll be going back in with a shovel. It has a dirt-floor and dirt / cement walls in which something began growling at me when I went to poke in there. I tried not to move anything in this trip. It was just a reconnaissance mission with a temptation too good to leave-- the shard. My mom suggested that I try and find the owners so that we can buy a cart from them. I'm just not sure how to get them out of the basement-level when their freight-elevator is a bit out of service. My mom was also mortified (as shown by her expressions) as I described what I was doing that day. LOL. I've seen old carts turned into coffee-tables and sell for big bucks. I could use the money for college. We believe that the building is in the early stages of being demolished-- they're clearing out lumber in one section and tossing it all. Across the street is heavy-equipment.I'm not really sure that the building could be saved. One more cart that seems a bit newer.

Plumbata

Reaction score
The carts in their current condition are pretty much junk in my opinion, the only bits worth salvaging are the wheels and any related iron hardware, and those would be a bit more portable than an intact cart. You may wind up seeing them get tossed in the future, in which case you could scavenge to your heart's content. The old basement/dirt floor area sounds promising, I'd be curious to see if you manage to pull any nifty stuff outta there. Might be coins too if you have a detector (though ya found a half with eyeballs alone so you might not need one!) Good luck man.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
There's a lot of iron down there. I took 95 pictures but could easily have taken 200. I'm assuming that they're gonna knock it all in, which sucks. That's what they did with the location near it, and then they cleaned most of the remains out. So, essentially, most stuff will be crushed. I have to use only my eyes as metal-detectors are out of my affordability at this point. The key issue with finding stuff here is, of course, the lack of light. I have one large flashlight and am not really sure that my oil lamp would be safe to use in here. The dirt floor also is covered in debris from above and from the damaged walls. There is a lot of stuff mixed into it, and I had walked around it all but saw little except for at the back where the shards were-- and there's a chair I'm interested in. I hope to at least pull out more pieces to identify the bottle, and hopefully something from the neighbouring historic Brewery will pop out intact and as a new variation. I also have to try and open the rest of these three double-rows of lockers. Some were jammed, and one section was knocked over. Thanks for the responses. ???????????????•??•??????????

2find4me

Reaction score
Your braver then me, you couldn't catch me going in there.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
You'll see later what I dug out of a wall! And I wasn't alone this time, but I had no clew who it was in there... xD

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora