Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Grogan14

Reaction score
Howdy all! I came across the forum while google-ing last night. I've just recently regained an interest in hunting for bottles. I've did some reading through the posts and have already found the forum to be a wealth of knowledge.

I've attached a couple of pics of some bottles that I was able to find just laying around the edge of my property today in just a half an hour of searching. The heat index was approaching 110, so that was about all I could take after working in the heat all day, lol. I've always kinda liked both pyro'd milk bottles and acl soda bottles, so was quite happy to come across one of each. The milk bottle is from the Marsh Dairy of Bridgeport, Conn. The Twin Lights bottle is from the Thomas Wilson Beverage Co of Rockport, Mass, which is only a few miles from me here.

My house was built in 1897. We've lived on the property going on 40 years now. My father had us digging for bottles some in the mid 70's. There were several obvious dumping areas on our acre and a half, as well as at an old foundation nearby. All I remember us keeping was anything blue. I still have several Milk of Magnesia bottles that we dug. I do remember us using a lot of the bottles for target practice, I hate to admit. We never really dug down very far. Unfortunately, we sold off a half an acre containing a large portion of the dumping area, and there is now a septic system in that location. There was also an old stone-lined well, but that has long since been filled.

Luckily, there is an area of the dumping spot still accessible. This was the area that my dad had deemed just too dangerous for us to dig in, with lots of broken glass and other junk. We will be selling and leaving the area before the end of the year, so I have some hope of finding some old relics there, to remember our time here by. There are also some 1800's-era foundations way up in the woods out back, and I do hope to spend some time up there searching. I've always spent most of my free time in the woods, and this will just be another great way for me to enjoy the great out-of-doors :)

4459F9121E1547369E99EB3D07317954.jpg

Attachments

• 4459F9121E1547369E99EB3D07317954.jpg
    4459F9121E1547369E99EB3D07317954.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 56

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hey, glad your thinking about some digging. Most of what I see there is newer and more common but you never know. Some milks and stuff can sell or have nice graphics. Is there a way to age the foudations either by old maps or nearby family cemitaries with dated headstones. Dig a few holes in the foundation and see if anything turns up. An 1897 privy or well probably won't turn up much. If your time limited check for older spots and go for it. Those are some of my thought, hopefully someone will have a few more.

madpaddla

Reaction score
Grogan14:

I saw that name and instantly thought you were a Pats fan. Super welcome to the forum. Nice to have ya and your right...there are some real informative people here and willing to help. Those milks are funny..some are common ..others like the one Bram listed can go for 1,000 so alittle research on that one would be recommended. Whats the date on the big brown jug? (base) Could give you a feel for the era that you are digging. Couple suggestions....1. keep digging and finding your right you might be able to get something to remember the place by. 2. those old foundations might be the key. Last thing....enjoy the hobby and forum. Post more pics. Madpaddla

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Really like the little med or utility with the glass stopper still on it. That will display nicely ! Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the hobby !

Mike O

Reaction score
Welcome from mee too! Nice finds just walking around! You got to get that shovel out and put it to work!!!

Grogan14

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes and input and all, y'all! No, I know there's nothing of any real value there, and there may not even be at the bottom of it all, but that's fine. I'm just more interested in the historic part of it. If I can get a few old milk and soda bottles, I'll be plenty happy.

The stuff in the picture was all laying right on the surface. Taking a closer look, I did come to notice at least a dozen more of the gallon jugs, most brown, but a few clear. One has a Coca Cola capped screwed on it, so I'm guessing they were full of syrup, which would make sense as the folks before us here used to operate a little sandwich shop. In fact, it's there that I first acquired the taste for Moxie, and I'm hoping that I'll maybe come on an old Moxie bottle or two.

My town was settled in the 1620's sometime, so I suppose there's the possibility of finding some really good stuff around somewhere. After thinking about it, I do know of a few wooded areas that once held homesteads, very long ago. Maybe, when I have the time, I'll do a little research into that down at the library. I'd think that part of it could be quite interesting. For now, I'm thinking about trying some of the dumping areas I can remember coming across when I was a kid, maybe find a few acl sodas or something.

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Your on the right track. Get to the library and get copies of the oldest maps of your town. My local librarian has been very helpful with digging up some very fragile books and taking the copier top off so I could photocopy because those books are huge !! Then when you get them look for the parts of town that you know have woods and look for some foundations on the map. In this way you can hunt without being disturbed. Research !! Good luck !!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac