Member New Bottler

Help on Big Green Bottle Age

I found this digging around an old abandon house in the woods.It's quite large and has a applied lip? Or am I wrong about that?Anyone have any knowledge to age and use?Thanks, Aaron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5029773f678940c79b91ce95cd8f39a9.jpg   2069798f2042445280671959519dbb54.jpg   cce0017daab044e8a0f0c1d1ad7bb9fc.jpg  

Member New Bottler

Re: Help on Big Green Bottle Age

A few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2bcecc32680a44088aae5dee6b04c6a9.jpg   c4c88d15f34b4e4b818e0c0e82e838e3.jpg   3ae44acd3da74f92a0d64b0cb309a06d.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar

It may be an applied lip, feel inside where the top meets the neck, and if you feel a lip or size differencewhere they join, it is applied, I cant really tell by the pics. Looks like a mineral water, like a Hunyadi Janos only different shape. it looks like a quart size??. spun mold maybe, 1880 - 1900. somebody else will join in I am sure and maybe have better info........Andy

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar

British imports here are still common today. The British made blob bottles into at least the 1930s. I've seen 1910's-era examples of applied-top bottles by their glasshouses. A better way to tell the age is to analyze the site and to try and find records.

Senior Member Bottle Master

So the bottle looks like a good one. At this point we need more information about it. Bottles of this tyYoupe can be made in three part molds - in that case there would be a horizontal seam on the shoulder and two vertical seams up the neck to the obviously applied and tooled finish.You didn't tell us anything about the bottom of the bottle - but if it was hand blown it should have evidence of an empontilling handle having been there.So we have to know more about the details, RED Matthews

Member New Bottler

I do feel the lip difference on the inside of the lip. And I think I see a faint pontil mark on the bottom. No seams on it at all.

So how tall is it? Is there any embossing? I have a lot of black glass bottles that were made for mineral water and other products. This one looks a little more green than most of them.

I'm guessing mineral water. I've seen crown top examples the same size with Poland Spring labels on them. I had two like yours, but just sold one for $15.

Member New Bottler

It's about 15 inches tall with no embossing.

To me it looks like a generic (unembossed) German-blown beer similar to those blown for the Western market in the 1890s. Granted the lip finish is flatter. But that was my first thought upon viewing the pictures.