H. Lake's Indian Specific

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Alexm1087

Reaction score
Ok so if I decide to list it on eBay. What should I start out with as a bid. And what key details should be listed?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hey Alex just start it out for 9.95, low fees, and believe me with good clear pics, and a nice description, it will go for good money, I will personally put three hundred on it if and when you list it.......Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Just checked your pics and I don't see anything resembling a ding that shows on a frontal pic, and I don't see anything except maybe a small impact ding on the upper bottom right side in your last bottom pic, which wont affect the price much.........Andy

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
FANTASTIC FIND! Best bottle of the year, IMHO! I found a number of sold ones, and the top sellers for $1,000 or more numbered 9. The years were between 1992 and 2006 and ranged from a record (?) high of $3,080 to a low of $1008. None noted any damage and those with any damage dropped below a grand. Second highest came in at a much lower $1840, followed by $1680 & $1650. By throwing out the highest & lowest of this grouping to account for unreasonable bid wars or lack of interest, the average comes to $1,456 and change. On the damaged or lower end of the list and sold after the 2008 market collapse when most collectables fell off in value dramatically, there were 3 sold most recently in 2011 & 2010. One sold for $800, one for $700 and one with "pontil chips" (more likely impact damage) for $475. Any damage devalued the bottle dramatically. Still, not a bad haul for a good call to lug home a dirty old bottle! Again, congrats on a great find. If it were me, I would keep it but as a non collector I would list on ebay as suggested but would include a reserve (a hidden amount that it would need to reach before you are committed to sell.) of $500. Auctions have their high times and low times to sell or buy, and late summer is usually a low time to sell. It all depends on who is watching at the time and who has the deepest pockets. Good luck, though I doubt you will need it. Jack

Alexm1087

Reaction score
Well im gonna have my girlfriend grab her fancy camera from her parents so I can take better pictures than my phone to show any defects.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Alexm1087 said:
Ok so if I decide to list it on eBay. What should I start out with as a bid. And what key details should be listed?
Most importantly to note any damage or flaws not originally made in the making. Since you found under a house, it is likely in pristine condition and the "scratches" you see are likely stretch marks common on pontil era bottles. Your pics give the impression it has been pro cleaned, so I would mention where it was found and not tumbled. Some collectors shy away from this type of cleaning. Be sure to include the base with a CLEAR pic of the pontil as this is important, though I didn't find a smooth base example listed. The base "ding" some see in the pics looks to me like possibly a potstone, or a piece of crud or possibly a bubble. Bubbles are fine unless one side has opened but still considered minor at worst. If a bruise, it usually will have a rainbow color in the right light & angle and this will affect value to some degree. If it is a poststone or crud in the glass, look closely for any radiations or "spider legs" trailing away from it. These can expand and develop cracks which is not good. Neither are spider legs but are more acceptable than cracks but need to be mentioned for accuracy or you will be shipping it back & forth with refunds, etc. Believe me, been there, done that. Pain in the arse. Jack PS- Lastly, make sure the dirt is as removed as possible from the base as this seems to be the most offending area and could be a matter of removing some more dirt in the bottom. Might save you a few hundred bucks! If in doubt on damage, don't overstate what you aren't sure of. Take to a trusted antique dealer for their opinion. I have bought more than my fair share of bottles on the cheap because of damage noted that turned out to be dirt or in the making flaws! Jack

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I have never seen a Lake's that was not pontiled...this one is for sure as all are. Nice bottle that sells in the range of $800-$1200. They have come down recently as quite a few have been available. American Bottle Auctions has one on their "for sale" page which remains unsold. Great find and an 1850s piece. I would definitely investigate the site where it was found some more. Dale

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well it has been my finding that most of these early rectangular sunken pane bottles, were empontilled using an often off centered round punty rod, for the finish glass application and tooling. RED Matthews

hemihampton

Reaction score
Why put a $500 reserve on it unless you paid $500 or have $500 invested into it. If nothing invested in it, A Freebie like yours just list for opening bid of $9.99 & no reserve & see what happens. Also, Reserves scare alot of people away & prevent many from bidding at all. You'd probaly get more bids & higher price without a reserve. LEON.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Alexm, you have received a ton of great information from several people here. I agree, that is one of the best bottle finds posted here in quite some time. Please keep us updated on this bottle. A great big congratulations to you

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18