H. Lake's Indian Specific

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
hemihampton said:
Why put a $500 reserve on it unless you paid $500 or have $500 invested into it. If nothing invested in it, A Freebie like yours just list for opening bid of $9.99 & no reserve & see what happens. Also, Reserves scare alot of people away & prevent many from bidding at all. You'd probaly get more bids & higher price without a reserve. LEON.
Leon, the obvious reason for a reserve is to not let a thousand dollar bottle float away for $9.99! Plus, one can always announce the reserve amount in the listing, eliminating those unwilling to spend that amount. It's not the reserve that usually scares people off of bidding, it's either greed (wanting something for nothing) or the feeling one is wasting their time. There is a reason for reserves and it works, otherwise it would simply stop existing. Plus, the bottle is worth at least $100 to the owner as he says he would hold on to it rather than sell for less, so there is an "implied" reserve in that statement. I was trying to give him ideas on options, or rather what I would do in his position. I personally would not risk loosing that much money without protecting the value it may bring, regardless of "investment." I once listed a bottle I bought for $45 for $9.99 thinking it was at least a $100 bottle. It turned out to be a rare one that sold for $957. I got lucky 3 ways that time. First for recognizing it was a bottle worth at least double what I paid for it, second for having it sell for what it sold for, and third being ignorant of it's true value. I most certainly would have had a reserve of $500 on that one and I am equally convinced the bottle would have sold for the same amount. But this is all speculation. If it doesn't sell with a reserve, list it again and lower the reserve, or not.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I highly doubt any $1,000 bottle would slip away for a $9.99 opening bid. Possible but highly unlikely. Not much flies under the radar any more & Snipers always laying in wait. Your $45 bottle proves my point, Why put a reserve on that for $45 or $100 or $500 if it's gonna get $957. Myself I may of put $45 reserve on it just to make sure I got my money back. If he wants no less then $100 then just put on ebay with opening bid of $100 or $99. I think ebay wants like $10 now for $500 reserve. You pay that reserve $ if it sells or not. LEON.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I do not think for a minute that this bottle will get less than its worth on e-bay, it just doesn't happen much anymore, this is a thousand dollar bottle we are discussing here, a much better specimen than what is pictured on A.B. Auctions sales page. A minimum bid of 100.00 dollars is not needed, this bottle will reach its potential without any trouble at all. And I will put a minimum bid of three hundred on it anyways, would be foolish not to, plus there are others here which would probably bid more. JUST LET US KNOW when you decide to list it..........Andy

Nevadabottles

Reaction score
Can someone post the link I'm interested in seeing what it goes for.

Lordbud

Reaction score
When listing on ebay I would make sure your listing title includes "H. Lake's Indian Specific/pontil" and anything else pertinent to the bottle. In my opinion you shouldn't need to pay ebay for a "reserve price" on this bottle. It is an incredible find. I would never sell this if I found it myself.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Not to long ago someone got a cobalt torp from Philly I think for $35 on ebay. He turned it for over $800 without a problem.It does happen that things go unnoticed for whatever reason.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
A couple weeks back I volunteered to do a write-up of the club meeting because the man who normally runs the show was (is still) 'out of commission.' Whilst taking notes and trying to gather every bit of info possible, I learned (a bit hard to believe, but I can only report what I'm told) about and then wrote this later that night:".... and transitioned into the Chelsea (Ann Arbor,) Michigan show where a very-rare Summer-Winter flask sold for $7,000. From what I could gather, it was bought in a Plymouth, Michigan antique shop for the grand sum of $15." Yeah, things go unnoticed. $4,000 for the bottle. $3,000 to the look-out who spotted it and reported back to the buyer is what I had heard. Apparently this pontiled/colored/applied-top bottle had everything going for it and was absolutely stunning.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18