Historical geometric flask find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
This is why I don't collect historic flasks, There are too many fakes and repros out there, BUT this looks good to me, especially if there is firebrick in the glass!! Jeff N Holly would know for sure, they used to come here some times. too bad they are not here to help........Andy

An excellent suggestion. Jeff Noordsy is very knowledgeable in this stuff. They have a website. http://www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com/ I'd give them an email. He's great. Used to be on here a lot but has moved on to other places. Jim G

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Like I said, the repro's are good.There is a chance that they fooled so many experts over the years that they were all real to begin with but that would mean they're a real common bottle though. [8D]

MuddyMO

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
Like I said, the repro's are good.There is a chance that they fooled so many experts over the years that they were all real to begin with but that would mean they're a real common bottle though. [8D]
Technically, many bottles that we treasure as "rare" or "scarce" were made by the tons, it's just a matter of finding or recovering them. Seen it many times with insulators. I've been collecting historical flasks for a bit over a year now, and currently have well over 100 different ones. Demonstrating that I am no expert, but informed and always learning, reading, comparing, and studying. It seemed to me that the GVIII-2 instilled some doubt in its authenticity (to me initially, to you, to a few!), however, if you have other examples in hand (shear tops, Keene examples from the time period, pontils, examples with wear), a systematic method can be used to deduce what is real. In that excessively long and seemingly aggressive post, I hope that I laid out some information and details that are on the real GVIII-2 flask. It seems apparent that the repro GVIII-2's are exactly that: reproductions. A collector of bottles and historical flasks in my area looked at the GVIII-2 in hand this weekend, and agreed it is real. Then the question of "whatcha want for it" came around. Oops. Not a bottle I'd ever pay a fortune for, but nice to have for the moment.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
If you see pieces of firebrick then maybe its real. For some reason the neck looks wrong. I will ask a few people on my FB page see what they say. I hope it is real .

MuddyMO

Reaction score
RICKJJ59W said:
If you see pieces of firebrick then maybe its real. For some reason the neck looks wrong. I will ask a few people on my FB page see what they say. I hope it is real .

Thanks for the effort! Was following up to see if anyone hadhad input?

I recently turned down a very high offer for the GVIII-8, from another flask collector. Probably would've taken it, if I had a cash register for a mind.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
More pictures in natural light would help. I'm not getting into your business or being bossy but if you spent as much time posting pictures of the flask in question as you have describing it I think you would have the answers you are looking for. Please don't get your feelings hurt from what I'm saying. I once called a DJ on the radio and told him " less talk more music." He told me of a very warm place I could go to visit.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I'm really glad to hear that this one turned out to be legit! A great addition to the collection for sure. It is hard to tell from photos on the better reproductions so handling them in person is definitely the way to go.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
More pictures in natural light would help. I'm not getting into your business or being bossy but if you spent as much time posting pictures of the flask in question as you have describing it I think you would have the answers you are looking for.

I think you may have missed the point.I posted to the 'New to the Collection' category a GVIII-2 Keene flask found at an antique store. I've already deduced it is real, and posted it as my find. Some speculated that the flask was a reproduction. This is fine, this is how we all learn, and personally, I learned a lot more than I cared to. All that time I spent describing it, was a key in order to ensure features found on a real GVIII-2 flask, through contrasting with a reproduction.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1