Historical geometric flask find!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MuddyMO

Reaction score
RICKJJ59W said:
Even if it is real it still looks like a  real repro to meÂ

You keep saying this. It just feels you're trying to discredit this example, or do you have a personal vendetta upon the GVIII-2?

This flask has been in the hands of many collectors since it was acquired, and not one suspicion it was a reproduction. Turned down two offers for it now. I've spent well over 6hrs studying and contrasting repros from the real flask, to help people understand how to determine the real deal, posted to this thread.

So, could you please elaborate on your position on this? Thank you.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I'm definitely with Rick here. Even though we aren't flask experts, this one screams repro to me. Then again, you only posted two pictures with no close-ups of details, which doesn't help. If you had some good shots of the base, lip, and other details, then it would be a whole lot easier to tell if it was real or not.

2find4me

Reaction score
After you said there was firebrick in the glass, I think that confirmed your bottle was real, as most reproducers I would think wouldn't go to that extreme to make a fake. The top resembles repros I have seen so that's the main reason I questioned the flask at first.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Did anyone ever think of going back to the shop, asking to contact the booth owner, and ask about where he/she got it?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
andy volkerts said:
This is why I don't collect historic flasks, There are too many fakes and repros out there, BUT this looks good to me, especially if there is firebrick in the glass!! Jeff N Holly would know for sure, they used to come here some times. too bad they are not here to help........Andy
Well That's two of us that have remarked about the unlikely idea of reproducers putting firebrick into their glass, looks real to me too......Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
2find4me said:
After you said there was firebrick in the glass, I think that confirmed your bottle was real, as most reproducers I would think wouldn't go to that extreme to make a fake. The top resembles repros I have seen so that's the main reason I questioned the flask at first.
2nd firebrick post

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Did anyone ever think of going back to the shop, asking to contact the booth owner, and ask about where he/she got it?

I find that there are times to do this, and times not to. It most likely was originally bought via an auction parcel, so it's provenance was probably lost, and pricing and description suggests they had no idea what it was anyways. To bring up this bottle to the seller, may cause hard feelings, and make me appear to be a "butt" to all there who has an opportunity to make a huge profit. All feathers ruffled to find that the bottle was something their aunt had it on a windowsill, or it was the junkiest bottle in a box of Dad's rootbeer and coke bottles from the 70's. If it was an insulator, you bet I would ask!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
The booth owner probably couldn't tell you much anyway, that flask has changed hands a bunch of times since it was made, any provenance is long gone, if there was any in the first place!! I do not think there is much doubt left as to if it is real or not, the mouths of these flasks were made differently from glassblower to glassblower and even to the different glasshouses which made them originally. You got lucky and found a good one, I would let it sit on my shelf or in my window, put it up for sale, etc etc and not worry about it..........Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac