Ques for all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
Hello all:

Thanks for all your insights into the questions I have posed. But can a house be too old. Many of the towns around here are founded before 1700. I have a homestead in my family that the house was build around 1760. I know that few families would take all the time to build a house ....then leave it. And other families could live in it etc. But can a house be too old?? Thanks, Madpaddla

lexdigger

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a house being too old, but I know that alot of older privies are very steril. I've dug some really early privies here and all they had in them were shards. There should be some newer pits there that would be loaded with bottles though. If you could find the holes they were using during the 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's then they would definatly be worth digging! If I were you I'd search the back yard area over really good. There has to be some glass there somewhere? Chris Capley

capsoda

Reaction score
Glass containers have been around for a couple thousand years so I'd say no. There is bound to be some good glass there somewhere along with some wild pottery and stoneware. Not to mention the tooth brushes, pipes, utincels and lord knows what elese, that is until you find these treasures.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Kinda makes you wonder though about reuse in earlier times. Alot of things were reused several times for different things, especially before 1700.

frank

Reaction score
[8|]Thats a tough question i think if the families have been living the same house from that time period . There would be several differant dumps at that house not including coal slag pits from using coal for heating!!The country dumps are differant from state to state it all depends on the ethic background of the famlies and churches they go to from those time periods!!!

madman

Reaction score
hey mad, probe probe probe, wow, there has to be alot of privies there, dumps??? what about gps or a decent metal detector, i cant even imagine having the dump you do, and all those other possibilitys heaven??? mike

huffmnd

Reaction score
Sure it's too old...no good....not worth your time, BUT DEFINATELY WORTH MINE!!!!! I say probe that sucker and dig.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp