pepsi bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

luvtodig

Reaction score
hey all!! my first attempt at pics here, hope this works...I know these pepsi bottles are probably not worth anything, cause the painted labels are gone..would like to just get info on them and maybe a date?? they are of intrest to us because the one has Marion Illinois embossed on bottom...this is nearby to where we live...thanks!!!

luvtodig

Reaction score
tried again...duh!![:eek:]

Ay74580.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ay74580.jpg
    Ay74580.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 136

luvtodig

Reaction score
RE: also a squeeze bottle

one more soda bottle...says Squeeze on it, and is a "squeezed in waist" bottom says Eldorado Illinois Saline Dairy and Bottle Co. This is my boyfriends hometown..any info greatly apreciated...thanks [:)]

Jh16552.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Jh16552.jpg
    Jh16552.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 133

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Susanne

The Pepsi bottles look to be from the 1940s or 50s and you're right, the ACL labels have worn off. See if you can make out the 'ghost ' image of where the ACL Pepsi Cola logo was on the front of the bottle - can you see one or two dots between the Pepsi and Cola? Two dots is older, more likely to be from the 40s. The Squeeze bottle looks to be from the thirties. I have a 1925 edition of "Bottlers and Beverage Manufactures Universal Encyclopedia" which lists two bottlers from Eldorado (pop. 5,004) - Saline Dairy and Bottling Co. (N Schwartz) and Wink Bottling & Ice Cream Co. Hope the info is of some use. - Sam

luvtodig

Reaction score
thank-you Sam for the info, helped me a lot![:D] I figured as much with the Pepsi bottles...they tell me that the clay here in the soil is hard on bottles[&o] talked to a bottle digger at a Flea Market the other day and all the bottles on his table were very sick, still old and cool tho...The Squeeze bottle is older then I thought, cool[:)] thanks again for all the info...have a good day[:)]

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I have looked through my copy of SOFT DRINK BOTTLING With Special Reference to Illinois, and I do not find your bottle. (The authors acknowledge that their list is not complete.) As Sam suggests, it is probably from the 1930s or a bit later.

The book does list a single bottler from Eldorado based on a reference in the May, 1925, issue of the National Bottlers Gazette. The bottler was listed this way:

N. Schwartz Bottling Works -- source: a crown-top bottle in aqua with 7oz. capacity
(Wink Bott. and Ice Cream Co.) -- source: NBG 5/25

The parens in these listings indicate comments relating to the company above. I don't know how to reconcile the differences between what Sam reports and what I found. An inquiry to the reference librarian in Saline County Public Library should provide all the info from directories of the period.

While there are many crown-top bottles illustrated in this book, the illustrations have no captions. If the N. Schwartz Bottling Works bottle referred to above is illustrated, I didn't identify it -- it is not in the distinctive shape of your bottle.

There is a lot of history in that part of Illinois. Some of those river-ports should offer some great bottle-digging!

-----------Harry Pristis

luvtodig

Reaction score
thank-you Harry[:D] I have been to the local libray some, still more book digging to do[:D] sometimes that is the best part of our hobby,( well except of course the digging itself) is to learn the history, I do love history..as for the digging here, boy have I heard some stories from the locals, my boyfriend included, of the creek beds, or river banks that they have seen, that are just full of bottles, I am just itching to get out there, the only thing holding me up, is also the stories of snakes, posion ivy, ticks, oh my!! the things we go through to pursue our hobby[:D] we have to be a little crazy[8D] but it is a good crazy! thanks again for all the info, it is greatly apprecaited[:)] love this forum...

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Yes, Susanne, the critters are there. Southern Copperheads (just gorgeous!), Canebrake Rattlesnakes (very nasty bite, but not aggressive), poison oak, and I don't know what the local situation is with regard to Lyme Disease.

The copperheads have a disconcerting habit of coiling up in confined places. I once found a pair together inside a very old tomato juice can. I recommend a long-handled potato-rake (or "cultivator") to dig those hillsides. Snakes favor south-facing hillsides, particularly in the springtime.

I was going to advise you to watch where you step; but, collectors like us are always looking at the ground, aren't we! [:)]

------------Harry Pristis

luvtodig

Reaction score
Thanks Harry for the good advice!! Re: Copperhead's not use to snakes that make no sound..we had rattlers where I come from, and they tell you when you are too close, so you can let them have their space[&:] will be sure to take LONG handled rake, and shovel...lot's of Deep Woods Off..said ticks can be a problem here, also some other tough little critter they call chiggers??? and as always will keep my eyes on the ground, have found some neat arrowheads that way.[:D] I guess the trade off here is that the history is so rich, and so much older then Wash state..I am having such a good time just learning the history of the area..thanks again[:)]

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
I think you should be open to the possibility that your Pepsi bottles were paper label bottles. The pics are not clear enough for me to see any evidence of a ghost label, but the ACL Pepsis usually had a raised bumper around the top of the main label to protect labels from bumping against other bottles. Yours do not. Does the bottom say Des Pat ##### ? Those are usually paper label bottles.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac