Dug A Nice MASTER INK Today/ Digging PICS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
I got out for a few hours today, hit this master ink in the first minute.
wa_davis.jpg

It's embossed "W.A. Davis, Boston Mass, USA"

All cleaned up, nice and mint.

wa_davis2.jpg

This is a great dump I found about 20 years ago when I was 13, never dug it then because nothing was really visable at the surface. Went back there a few weeks ago and man is it LOADED with bottles. Here are a few more from an hour of digging today.

Finds.jpg

Besides the master I got about 15 blown Bromo's [:mad:], a Bunker Hill, a Preston on NH, a Hagens Magnolia Balm, a milk glass cloverleaf ink, a Japanese Paint Co., a few Carters cones, a St. Louis druggist (all the way out here in Maine) and a cool boston "Hedake" med.

Here are last weeks finds in the same dump.

finds2.jpg

finds3.jpg

The winner was this salt jar with an embossed SWAN.

tablesalt.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed.

Joel

deepwoods

Reaction score
Joel - That salt jar is a beauty! U.K is it? Looks like great dump. Sometimes I think you Maine guys have the only decent dumps left. Everything here was gone over with a fine toothed comb in the sixties and seventies. Whats left mostly is twenties dumps that you get some pockets of late throws in. Good diggin.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Nice haul you got there Joel! Awesome salt jar and a fine ink. Thanks for sharing your pix.... I have been having a dry finding spell around here lately. [:(] Taz

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Yea cap it was wet, I got caught in a thunderstorm. Digging time is tight these days so I continued to dig anyways (lightning won't strike you in a hole right?)

The salt jar is not pontiled but close. I was hoping it was a rare fruit jar when it came out.

And yes deepwoods, the dumps are great here in Maine. It was dug REALLY hard in the 60's and 70's but this is a very large state with tons of very old towns so there are endless places to search. We just have to be more creative now, all the dumps that are visable have been dug or scratched at. It's the hidden dumps (like this one) that are holding all the stuff.

I've got much more to come from this dig. I'll keep everyone posted.

Joel

madpaddla

Reaction score
Maine:

Those are some nice digs. The salt is amazing. Do you have anymore pics? And those bromo's....only 4 here ever...they are all over the place. Excellent dig and thanks for the post. That master ink is in cray ab lay (incredible) Madpaddla

Oh shoot...a bunker, druggist......wonderful digs.

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Thats how I found the ink, it was washed from the side wall of my hole. I totally missed it last dig. It was just waiting there for me.

Gotta love that.

Joel

TROG

Reaction score
Hi Joel,

The Salt Jar is very nice and is quite collectable here in Australia. This one as you know was made for a Liverpool ( England ) company mainly for export around 1890-1900. The Funny thing is the English liked there salt in Stoneware crocks and these bottles are rarely found in the U K but turn up mainly in Australia , the U S and Canada . They would normally sell in the $ 100-150 range.

David

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Thank you for the info David. Glad to hear it is not a common UK bottle. I'll be hanging on to it for sure.

Joel

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora