Interesting whiskey bottle "MOONSHINE" w/embossed face.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rob P.

Reaction score
I dug this bottle up back in 1998, never have had any luck finding information on it. Nor have I ever seen another. It is embossed "MOONSHINE". Which is approximately 15 to 20 or so years before the term wood become common during prohibition. The seem stops at the applied lip, and the bottle would be a two piece BIM construction. If I were to put it in the sun it would purple up as it is already slightly doing so. Reverse side of the Moonshine embossing is M.F. & CO. Would really like to know if anyone has information on the company that made this and for my own personal knowledge, an estimate of value? Don't want to part with it, as I have a fond memory of just digging this bottle out of the ground. Thanks for any help! Rob

Attachments

• e3cc52f0dd27473b975febf78bff1a9a.jpg
    e3cc52f0dd27473b975febf78bff1a9a.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 130

Rob P.

Reaction score
The day I took it out of the ground. Almost an hour worth of cutting through cedar roots to get to it........

Rob P.

Reaction score
Because of the paneled shoulder and the strange neck shape, combined with the root mass, I thought for some time I was diiging out a kerosene lamp base. I was surprised when it turned out to be a bottle.

mikeya

Reaction score
I wish i could help you Rob but no idea. But its a great find almost looks like some kind of back bar bottle to me.

Rob P.

Reaction score
No problem mikeya! I've been searching for info on this bottle since I found it in 1998! I think its my best find ever, and that includes some somewhat common bitters, cures and poison bottles over the years. I've never been on a bottle forum before though, so maybe someone will come along even if its just to say "Hey, I found one of those too!" and give some idea just how far reaching this product may have been, depending on where they found it. Which, BTW, I found this in the south central part of Michigan's UP, where I used to live until 2006.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Cool find.

Attachments

• ce1ea039129046a28963ca023bd050d7.jpg
    ce1ea039129046a28963ca023bd050d7.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 110

botlguy

Reaction score
I like the bottle a lot, it's unusual like me. [:)] Just to make things correct and perhaps help identify (especially the age) and value it, are you sure the top is "APPLIED" and not "TOOLED"? By dating it you can narrow down the date of use / manufacture and perhaps look in local (to where you found it) directories. I believe all areas had them.Good Luck. Jim

Rob P.

Reaction score
Your correct botlguy, it is a "tooled" top. Been a few years since I was into the bottle scene! As for dating, it is pre ABM made, I would guess in the late 1890's to early 1900's at the end of the BIM two piece mold era. Rob

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora