I actually went digging...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blackglass

Reaction score
... For the first time in a while. Well, I'd call it more of a "hunting around" adventure than a digging one. Anyhow, I went exploring some steep embankments behind some houses yesterday and today. Yesterday, I didn't bring my camera, so I don't have any of what happened photo documented. I mostly scratched around the surface in areas I hadn't really gone through before, and I didn't really come up with much. I did come home with an ABM crown top Soda Water from Laconia that's in good shape, along with a couple commons and a big BIM slick. Rage-inducers for the day include a Howe & Streeter Milwaukee Lager blob top with THE BASE BROKEN OFF. Ugh, absolute RAGE. It was in good shape, otherwise. I also pulled out a milk glass "Whatzit". Today was more successful. I went and explored an entirely different area along the same river and found several decent spots. I made the mistake of bringing my sneakers AGAIN so the steep slopes were difficult for me to walk over and my feet were soaking wet by the end of the day. First spot was very muddy and had a huge mix of glass. Mostly 1950's-60's stuff, though I did find a modern gatorade plastic bottle buried 6 inches down and a few BIM shards, including a Warner's Safe Cure. Ended up taking an ABM Sawyer's Crystal Bluing because I figured that'd be all I'd find for the day, given my luck.
QINYWJr.jpg
Turned out to just be a screw top slick.
d0of6qm.jpg
RIP Warners
a2JYIi6.jpg
I moved on from that spot after my shoes had pretty much been destroyed. Very loose mud; not easy to stand in. Next spot was between these rocks from this very old rock wall. Mostly 1940's shards, nothing intact besides a cracked furniture coaster. I moved on from there pretty quickly.
EUKGtyB.jpg
The last spot I hit was what made the whole trip worth it. I got to this mud and clay caked slope with a large root overhang. I saw shards and I approached the area, slipping and almost taking a tumble a few times. I soon saw this just sitting there, near the edge of the overhang:
V8uZDsG.jpg
As shocking as it is, it turned out to be a damaged (but intact) IP Stoddard master ink. Unbelievable that it was just resting there. The lip has a chunk taken out of it and the base has a huge chip, but hey. It's Stoddard! Only moments later, I pulled out a Robert Turlington Balsam of Life. It's the smooth base variant and has a crack in the lip/neck, oh well. Better than nothing I guess.
xYOsEi5.jpg
Last thing I pulled out of there before calling it a day was a very much covered up Drs. F.A. & J.A. Greene. I only could see the lip buried at first and it took a while to get out, but fortunately it had no serious damage. Early keystone base, too.
H5h7baC.jpg
Dk0zYSl.jpg
Aaaaand everything cleaned up from the last couple days.
6qnx2hT.jpg
Awww yea
N0RWi1c.jpg
i2guf2Z.jpg
AZbUE3t.jpg
Thanks for reading!

2find4me

Reaction score
Nice finds, thanks for sharing!!! That Stoddard is sweeeeet

hemihampton

Reaction score
I like that Schlitz, Is that the one missing the bottom? LEON.

Blackglass

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
hemihampton said:
I like that Schlitz, Is that the one missing the bottom? LEON.

Yeah, unfortunately. That's the second damaged one I've acquired (The one I also have is an older variant, but it has a huge crack up the back). They aren't too hard to find as far as NH blob tops go, but they still generally run in the $20 range.

nhpharm

Reaction score
That looks fun. You are probably digging in some of my old stomping grounds...I miss New Hampshire digging! Never had the greatest of luck but have some great memories for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown