Macomb U-244 and Unmarked

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
So the Macomb sold on e-Bay in better shape for $26 and $12 shipping. Is it really a little more desirable?
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B028.JPG
Notice that MACOMB looks more like MAOOMB. ^ Interesting thing on it. It is a U-244 "flat top" piece made between 1910 and 1915 by Illinois Electric Porcelain Co. as a dry-press insulator. Source.The dome-portion is gorgeous, in my opinion anyway.
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B032.JPG
But, sadly, mine has damage as is typical of a dug insulator.
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B037.JPG
The inside has a very sharp point in there. ^
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B035.JPG
Then my mom got me this one because it still had the hardware:
cpCEinxkCvX9gfi5uA8lEiM9oXwPZpHBCLgKhuCSe8vj=w1117-h295-no
It is unmarked.
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B027.JPG
And it is somewhat crude-- It is not a perfect circle anywhere on it.
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B021.JPG
This one is not damaged save for two cracks in the glaze.
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B022.JPG
More from its hardware:
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B039.JPG
Macomb%2Bporcelain%2Binsulator%2B040.JPG
Nut. Ideas on age and maker?

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Those are unusual, to each his own. Beauty lies in the eye of the holder. And not always the beholder!

botlguy

Reaction score
That MACOMB piece is still a pretty good piece in spite of it's condition. A little damage deflates value less in insulators than it does on bottles. Overall, porcelain insulators have much less value than glass as there are fewer collectors. I personally like both and embossed or incuse letter are always a favorite being quite uncommon. I cannot come up with a maker or date on the second one, (I think that's what you are asking about, but I'm sure it's early 1900s. Someone will know if they are paying attention, our ranks are thinning. How are you aware of U & M numbers? That is usually a tough study, I am barely conversant. Jim

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm wondering on the embossed (yes, it is embossed) Macomb this: Is it really a more desired porcelain piece as is reflected by its sold value and 14 bids, or did a few people really just want this one? It doesn't appear to be a more common one. With the unmarked one, I want to know this: Anything. LOL.I was told it was pre-1950s and Ohio Pottery Co. I cannot even find Ohio Pottery Co. LOL. U-___ with an insulator, as far as I know, means Porcelain. That's all I know. The number is more helpful to you guys than it is to me. Google gives me about 75% of what I want to know. I'm just a learner who likes insulators.

botlguy

Reaction score
4 different bidders, winner upped his top bid but didn't have to pay more. That tells me there is interest in the piece. They are not willing to pay a lot, as expected, but they paid more (5 to 8 times more) than they would have for an unlettered one. Incuse lettered / numbered insulators outnumber embossed ones 1,000 to 1 I'm pretty sure, maybe not that much but a lot. Viewing the auction I see where you got the U number. I have the porcelain insulator books but haven't gone through them for awhile. The U number is probably correct but not that big a deal in this case. If you are really into insulators, especially "mud" (porcelain), I can mail you a nice selection cheap but the postage can be a bit much. I can get probably 10 into a Large Flat Rate box ($18.00) + $20 - $40 (your choice in advance) for the insulators All will be in Very Good to Very, Very Good condition. Let me know if you are interested. Jim

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
That is very useful. I'll find more embossed porcelains, then. Actually, I didn't get my U-number from the auction. I got it from research. When I get my research, I check sold listings in e-Bay because I know what to look for exactly. If something hasn't sold, I look at ones that didn't sell at X amount of dollars and decide that it's beneath that value. This one sold for over $35 undamaged, but mine is a bit prettier and the C looks like an O. And the U-number is correct. ;) I'm afraid that I cannot afford that right now albeit its a kind offer.I have money coming to me, but because of my car's $500 repairs.... and that I hadn't sold well at what looked more like a mini bottle show rather than $5 table (one man brought in 4 boxes of embossed bottles. Another man brought in a bunch of paper label bottles for it, hence where I got my most recent) yesterday... LOL. I now allot myself $10 a week to spend as I'm a bit low. I have 3 packages that I need to ship out before I can cash my current MO and get back into selling.

botlguy

Reaction score
Not a problem, the offer stands as long as I have the stock and I have a lot right now. I also have a lot of problem / damage free $1 - $2 glass available but as always, the mailing costs are an issue because insulators weigh a lot. Quantity is the way to go so it spreads out the cost per piece for mailing. Take care and be well. Jim

BillinMo

Reaction score
Hey - sorry it's been a while. This forum's now blocked at work so I can't jump in during my lunch hour. The Macomb is a good find. Normally those are around 10-20 dollars at an insulator show, but sometimes stuff on ebay goes higher. The second one is certainly a Pittsburg. Their earlier stuff tends to be very crude and usually has that moldine over the top and an unglazed pinhole. They're not rare and usually sell for 1-5 dollars or so. I think this one's in the U-265ish range, and it's probably from the 1908-1922 period. Westinghouse bought out Pittsburg in 1922, and the quality dramatically improved after that.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Welcome back. :) So I should pick up Macomb's more often then. I suppose I should get the Macomb off the floor, too. LOL. The hardware itself for it is what I really wanted when I got it, and it came off with some working. The Pittsburg insulator is just a neat-looking piece for my top shelf. Thanks for all your help. :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora