stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
I always leaned towards 'fantasy' piece for the coca cola ones with the logo ACL on them. There are a lot of coca cola fantasy piece's out there. But Goodmans Kist might be a different story. Maybe he can show us more pics if he still has it. I also gear towards your number 3. But yes, what kind of testing?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy Please tell us more about the syrup / concentrate used when you worked at the plant... 1. Was it in the form of a concentrate or syrup? 2. If a concentrate, who/what/where turned it into a syrup? 3. How was it contained, Barrels - Drums - Bottles - Other? 4. How was it put into the bottle filling machinery? 5. Was the syrup flow automatic or adjustable? Which raises another question I have been wondering about - why would any bottler, even in the 1940s-50s, have to worry about the amount of syrup going into each bottle? Its hard to believe the machinery wasn't sophisticated enough at that time to do a simple, automatic measuring of the syrup without having to fuss about it.
Hello Bob, I believe ours was a concentrate, as that was what was on the five gallon cans we received from Pepsi Cola. There was a stainless steel vat on a mezzanine above the filler which held the concentrate and water used to make the syrup, I don't recall how the water was measured into the concentrate vat. as I never had a reason to go up there, but I saw piles of 5 gal empty concentrate cans on the mezzanine so I figure it was mixed by an operator. and that is probably why the syrup into the filler was tested so often. There was a stainless steel pipe line from the concentrate vat down to the filler, which had an adjustable air valve which allowed so much concentrate into whatever size bottles were being filled. all this equipment was of the sanitary construction so it could be taken apart and cleaned every so many production hours. the flow from the vat to the filler reservoirs was gravity fed, but the filler reservoirs which held about 10 gallons of concentrate was slightly air pressurized, which would depressurize every few minutes to let in more concentrate, then repressurize to fill bottles. first reservoit a would fill than depressurize as reservoir b would fill and depressurize and so forth and so on all shift long, back and forth between the two reservoirs. hard to explain but I sure you are getting the gist of things, I am sure not all plants did it all the same way, but I know they all had to start with the 5 gallon cans of concentrate, unless it came in larger amounts for more modern facilities........Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I am sure the constant measuring was also a part of FDA requirements as well as that of the Soda Co whoever that may have been, the FDA requirements would have been the same for all plants......Andy

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because Coca Cola is the most documented brand of soft drink, I am shifting my focus to them and specifically searching for anything related to ... Coca Cola Quality Control / QC Such as this from ... The Daily Register ~ Harrisburg, Illinois ~ April 16, 1958 (On the trailer below the Coca Cola logo it has QUALITY CONTROL) It appears that things were a lot different back in the day than they are now! [attachment=Coca Cola QC Trail...15) (1000x923).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Trail...00) (768x1000).jpg] [attachment=Coca Cola QC Trail... two (543x700).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. Is it possible the filled and capped test bottles were set aside to be inspected and tested by one of the traveling lab technicians?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This article is from the same 1958 Harrisburg, Illinois newspaper as the last one I posted, and is part of a three full-page write up about the Harrisburg Coca Cola Bottling Company's 25th anniversary. This particular portion tells us the traveling laboratory visited franchised Coca Cola bottles about "once or twice a year." &nbspnbsp; [attachment=Coca Cola QC Trail...ree (548x1100).jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Something that I/We seem to have overlooked is that Coca Cola didn't introduce their 10 Oz and 12 Oz bottles until 1955. I'm not sure when the rest of the brands introduced their larger bottles, but if any of the test tube bottles that have multiple etched lines on them were made prior to when that brand introduced their larger bottles, then you have to wonder why they are marked for different measurements when the brand only had one size bottle. I suppose some of the etched lines could have been added later, but because we don't have any evidence of that being done we should bare in mind when dating the test bottles that there might be more to them than meets the eye.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Which brings us back to the numerous test bottles that don't have any lines on them at all. If they were intended only for measuring the syrup, then how would they know exactly how much syrup was in the test bottle if it didn't have a measurement line?

iggyworf

Reaction score
Is it possible soda bottlers asked Owen Illinois or other bottle manufacturers for some sort of generic sized testing bottles that were able to be capped? Then they would etch on there own measuring lines? But then we have that 7up one that is embossed on the bottom. Which didn't appear to have any etched lines at all. My earliest larger 7up bottle is from 1959. The 7up test bottle has 1946 on the bottom.

goodman1966

Reaction score
Here's some more pics of the Kist. I would definitely say hand made. Etching was done after the bottle was put together. The top line says 2 fl oz. it is 91/2 inches tall. The mold lines disappear half way down the neck, so it was defiantly stretched. To add to the confusion there are lines etched between the numbered lines of 1&1/2, 1&3/4 and 2 fl oz .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown