stretched or not..7up

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Andy Thanks for the kudos - but its really iggy who is the CEO - I'm just his cub reporter/investigator ~ * ~ Do you suppose its possible that the test bottles served a dual purpose - one for taking a test sample and one for measuring the syrup? ~ * ~ As to the rarity of these types of bottles, there are nine of them on eBay right now. Just search "syrup test bottle" and it will pull them up. The 7up example doesn't immediately come up under that heading, but that's because the seller doesn't know what he has. He just describes it as a slim 7up bottle. Actually, it appears the Coca Cola examples are somewhat common. Its others like 7up and Kist that seem to be rare.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's goodman1966's Kist example again - its a beaut!
goodman1966 said:
[attachImg]https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/download.axd?file=0;685697&where=message&f=image.jpg[/attachImg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I'm looking for one of these books. I have seen descriptions for them that say it contains examples of Coca Cola test bottles, and possibly explains exactly what they were used for. This particular example said it contains the following categories - with, I believe, "Syrup Graduates" being another name for the test bottles ... Beverage Preparation; Syrup Preparation; Testing Equipment; Beakers, Cylinders, Flasks, Syrup Graduates; Equipment by QC Test; Fountain QA Equipment; Sanitary Maintenance; Mechanical Maintenance; Water Treatment; Pre-Mix; and Miscellaneous. [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Testing Book 1965.jpg]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This Shutterstock link is to a one minute video that shows technicians in a 1940s Coca Cola laboratory and even shows one of the techs checking a Hydrometer in a test tube filled with syrup.Check it out. http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-3979834-stock-footage--s-a-coca-cola-bottling-plant-in-the-s-employs-lab-technicians-to-insure-quality.html By the way, I double checked and a typical 'Syrup Graduate' is a test tube vile, but in the case of the Coca Cola equipment book "might" be one of the test bottles.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Coca Cola laboratory technician checking Hydrometer from 1940s video ... [attachment=Coca Cola Syrup Te...tory 1940s (2).jpg]

CreekWalker

Reaction score
The 7UP bottle may set a record for that type of syrup bottle tonight, after midnight.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Yeah, its currently at $48.00 and still two hours to go. I hope iggy/Rich gets it!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Andy Thanks for the kudos - but its really iggy who is the CEO - I'm just his cub reporter/investigator ~ * ~ Do you suppose its possible that the test bottles served a dual purpose - one for taking a test sample and one for measuring the syrup?
Bob, All I know is for sure they frequently checked for syrup amounts ( which is why they pulled actual production run bottles off the line) I wouldn't think they tested the syrup for sugar content except maybe to make sure the syrup wasnt getting too old ( think present day use by guidelines) I would think that being the syrup was actually provided by the soda co, ( Coke- Pepsi _ Seven up etc etc) that it would only be tested for freshness, possibly sugar content if that degraded over time. If I was Coca Cola I wouldn't want my syrup formula discovered by some bottling plants lab, that's for sure. It would be interesting to actually have a conversation with a Coke Lab Guy and find out what Coke required on testing besides syrup quantity, which in our plant was the BIGGIE,.........Andy

goodman1966

Reaction score
I think your on to something there Andy. My Kist example is etched for 3 different amounts, possibly for the different sizes of the bottles. And it is tall enough for the 28oz bottle. Just thinking 😯 Mitch

goodman1966

Reaction score
The reason for the above post, if we look at Bob's post on page 2 of the metal sleeve the opening is just right to see that fill line without having to remove it from the production line. I think the different lines just meant different sizes of bottles. Of course the really tall examples might be for the larger ounce bottles. After reading this thread all the way through again, I think they were for checking syrup quantity for the different size bottles. The ones with 1 line were dedicated to a particular size of a high volume product like Coke, Pepsi, etc. My bottle looks to have been cut at the base and a shoulder up stretched neck peice put on. For a bottler with a lower working capital such as Kist that would save them money by being able to use it for several different sizes instead of having to make one for each size. Does any of that make sense ?But I'm sure there is an answer out there some where. hey it's late and I got nothing better to do.ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky