Onion Bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scubapro67

Reaction score
I have a few Dutch onions from Guyana also. Occasionally they do find English bottles. I'd really love to find an early English bottle from Belize - apparently they are quite abundant, but there's restrictions on their export.
Attached a picture of the James River English Onion - note the rather unique blue color that appears in natural light (possibly glass gall - reused glass/ other impurities). This style is similar to yours from the Suwannee. The narrower, longer neck and tooled V string rim places it around 1710. But as we know, the styles overlapped a fair bit.
Side.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I sure didn't see an English onion in Guyana. Any that are found must be quickly filtered out of the commercial stream to be offered to select customers. Later, I was offered a pancake onion from Guyana through a Guyanese dealer, but we couldn't get together on price.

Van den Bossche provides a good explanation of glass gall, an interesting phenomenon. I have an extra copy of Van den Bossche's book, still in the publisher's shrink-wrap, that I might trade for decent black glass.

Here's another "Dutch" onion from Guyana:
octagonal.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Glass gall is a contamination with sodium sulphate (Na[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB]) of a glass batch or of individual bottles from the batch. The common source of this contamination is ground blast-furnace slag. Here ground slag was used as the "sand" in a sand pontil.

black_glassgall_full.jpg black_glassgall_base.jpg

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Found this heartbreaker an hour ago. Couldn't locate the neck.
Embossing in seal is hard to read. Possibly "J.F.T. & Co." Phila PA.
Color is actually a very dark honey-amber. Does have a pontil scar on base.
Any info appreciated.

broken onion bottle.jpg

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Found this heartbreaker an hour ago. Couldn't locate the neck.
Embossing in seal is hard to read. Possibly "J.F.T. & Co." Phila PA.
Color is actually a very dark honey-amber. Does have a pontil scar on base.
Any info appreciated.

I found one in a Glass Works Auction in 1992. The seal reads: J.F.T & CO. / PHILAD. Med. amber; 7 1/8" H; open pontil; applied handle and mouth; American 1860 - 70. This one had a 1 1/4" crack. It sold for $90.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora