7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy / Rich

Thanks

Now I can continue to focus on the swimsuit label and see if I can find ... ???

Goodman

Reaction score
Hi Bob, it's Mitch(goodman1966). Just Goodman now. In reference to your chart of the amber 7up bottles on the last page. Does that come from an issue of Old Bottle Magazine ? If so, I have that issue. If you don't have it I would be glad to send it to you. I would like it back when you are done. As far as the first advertising. The article states H.C. Griggs drew up the first advertisement for 7up. But you probably already knew that. Pm me if you need that book. Mitch

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Mitch

When you say "Old Bottle Magazine" are you referring to a magazine by that exact title or do you mean it in generic terms? I got the chart from an 8 page article that appeared in the November-December 2004 issue of "the Soda Fizz" magazine authored by Cecil Munsey and Ron Fowler.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of the 2004 "Soda Fizz" article, the attached image is from page 5 of that article And even though the authors do not specify its origin or the date, they do mention that some of the material came from various publications such as ...

The National Bottlers' Gazette
The National Carbonator and Bottler
The Carbonator and Bottler National Journal

So I'm assuming this image likely came from one of those publications. What I find most interesting about it is the possibility that it is referring to a paper label. Notice the wording in lower portion (that I cropped-out) where it says ...

"Write their nearest branch for sample."

I can't say for certain, but it sounds to me like they are referring to the image at the top as being one of the labels. If so, could this possibly be the very first 7up paper label?

7up Paper Label Possible First Cecil Munsey (2).jpg

7up Paper Label Possible First Cecil Munsey (3).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

The typical "Slenderizing Lady" paper label was trademarked in 1931. If the one in my last post is in fact a paper label, then I'm thinking it precedes this one, and is possibly from 1929-1930 ???

7up 1931 Trademark.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speaking of the 1931 "Slenderizing Lady" paper label trademark, I said it before and will say it again - I have no doubt whatsoever that the 1931 paper label influenced the 1935 ACL label. They are just too similar for it to be a mere coincidence. But why the 1931 paper label does not have a curved white background and does not have the square lip, but the ACL label does, I cannot say. But I'll bet you a million-dollars there was a specific reason why the designer added the curve and the square lip!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And here it is again in all of it's mysterious glory ... :eek:

7up ACL LABEL.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

Based on recent evidence, I am changing my opinion that the ACL swimsuit label was influenced by alcohol, cocktails, mixer, hangovers, etc, and now suspect that it, as well as the early paper labels, were more likely influenced by aspects related to ...

Medicinal Benefits
Slenderizing

(More about this later)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Based on what I've been seeing, it appears that 7up didn't start to fully focus on the Hangover/Mixer aspect until shortly after Prohibition was repealed on December 5, 1933. Prior to that date their focus seems to have been on the health benefits of 7up, which included its alkaline properties and slenderizing effects. That's why I'm now leaning toward their early paper labels as possibly having been influenced by this Alkaline/Slenderizing aspect and not the Hangover/Mixer aspect that came later. So this gives me a search window of about six years between 1928-29 to about 1933-34 to see if I can find anything that might explain the who-what-where-when for the origin of their first bottles and labels. Unfortunately, the newspaper archives I'm subscribed to only provides a limited number of 7up ads during that time period, with 1931 being the earliest date I can find for a 7up related advertisement. However, the archives recently added "The St. Louis Dispatch" to their site, but in order to view those particular listings from the 1930s, I need to upgrade. But because my basic subscription is paid up through April of this year, I don't plan to upgrade until then. In the meantime, I will have to settle for ads like this from ...

The Salt Lake Tribune - Salt Lake City, Utah - January 28, 1933

7up 1933 The Salt Lake Tribune Jan 28, 1933.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

In case I didn't make it clear, the St. Louis newspapers will likely have a lot more information about early 7up because St. Louis, Missouri is where 7up originated.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi