Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Member New Bottler

Black Elephant Saloon picnic flask from Texas

Here is my newest flask added to my Texas whiskey collection. It has applied top with no air vents on the bottle and no trade mark on the bottom. It has never been in the ground and I would date it to late 1880's to early 1890's. The saloon was in business from 1883-1916. I collect Texas whiskey bottles, shot glasses or corkscrews if you have any for sale. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Antonio - Black Elephant Saloon.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Nice one, Black Elephant is an interesting name.

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar
    gotta love that name!!!! great flask TWB!!

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Super sweet!

That is very cool! I'm in Texas as well, and we've dug privies with 50+ pumpkinseed flasks in them and as I pull out each one, I hope for embossing. No such luck though...doesn't seem like our area had any embossed pumpkinseed flasks.

Junior Member New Bottler
    I've been collecting Texas whiskey bottles for over 17yrs. I know of only 8 embossed TX pumpkinseed flasks. I have 2 of them, they are very rare. Do you have any TX whiskey bottles?

Member New Bottler
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	168032This is my only Texas embossed whiskey flask. J.A. Miller From Houston. There was and may still be one on eBay. It started several months ago at over 100$ but has been relisted several times. I was watching to see what it goes for.

The only ones I have are the really common Miller from Houston, a Morris T. Gombert from Houston (which seems to be pretty hard to find though it isn't much to look at), a Sweet Revenge from Galveston, and three variations of the B.A. Cook Brookhills from Galveston.

Here is a photo of my Brookhill flasks. Two variations of the half pint and a pint. Very hard to find these and even harder to find them without damage. I have the smaller of the Sweet Revenge flasks...I've heard there is a larger one but I've never seen one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3900.jpg  
    Last edited by nhpharm; 12-30-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Awesome flask! I'm also located in Texas, and I'm actually in Athens which is about 40 minutes west of Tyler. I'd love to see some more pictures of your flasks if you'd be willing to post more!