How to tell if it's a good place to look?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I been following this post for the past month and have to say, it is awesome! I agree with so much advise here , but the statements about research, old maps, local history and gaining permission, is all equally important, in finding great places to hunt. Before I leave home, I have researched the particular area, extensively, before hunting or digging. For me the days of random searches is over , it's generally a waste of time and effort. Although as LUCK would have it , some great finds have been gained though blind luck. Two things I would like to add, first I have county and state maps for a 100 mile square area from my home, starting from the 1780's Indian territory to the present. Second, and most importantly, the maps pointed me to areas , where ghost towns or non-existent communities , once thrived, teaming with homes and businesses. Literally dozens, once were, but due to many factors , they no longer exist. An example close to me, is the once thriving town, of Randolph on the bluff of the Mississippi. It once rivaled the city of Memphis, but is farm community and a historical place now, and soon a new state site, proposed because it was a river fort and a Civil War site. Items from this town are some of my most prized items. How I found many of these lost towns, many now remote, grown up with forests or in the middle of agriculture fields, was by researching old post offices, called DPO's or dead post offices. A excellent website by Jim Forte, http://www.postalhistory.com/Post_Offices/index.htm , has opened my eyes, to these lost areas, and in combination with period maps, has shown me the lost towns, stage roads, and defunct business locations. I would note , that most historical towns, (ghost or non-existent) found with a google search, is generally 2 to four miles from the actual location or coordinates. Also, these google locations are generally a nearby crossroad, with one road being the town's name. For a digger, research is your best digging partner first, then knowledge second. Both save you time and money, with huge rewards. 10-31-15 003.jpg1840's Randolph TN.jpg

Last edited:

foster2100

Reaction score
I am actually still digging in this particular dump, lots of big rocks and plenty of work but I hope that it will pay off. I have learned a little about digging and finding but I've still only pulled one whole bottle. I still go a couple of time a week and work on it for a few hours so I'm sticking with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger