Need Help Finding a Privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fnye217

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this site and apologize if this is the wrong area to post this. I just started digging over a year ago and have found some pretty cool stuff, but there is one problem I keep trying to solve. I have a site where I can dig that is a house dating back to the 1820s, but i cant find the privy. The property now is huge, I have located to dumps but they are really far from the house and in the woods and the one dates back to the late 1800s, and the other to the early 1900s. I was wondering what the best way is to go about finding the privy(s) are.

Last edited:

sunrunner

Reaction score
well here is the thing, in many rural places people did not use there privy's for trash despoil .If they had a big piece of property then they had plenty of places to throw it. Look for ditches in the fence row , low spots in the woods , like swampy areas'. depressions on the woods line , sometimes framers dug holes out there and buried what little trash they had.

fnye217

Reaction score
Interesting. The property is family owned and has been for a while, when planting relatively close to the house a while ago they had found some broken glass and pottery. Also there is a garage on the property that was originally a place where the kept horses in the 1800s as well. There is also a creek that runs through the property, thats where i found one of the dumps, it was dumped over a bank into the creek. The property is just big and i have no idea where to look. There is also an old church set on a hill next to the property that has a bank on the side facing our property with and old dirt road. Just an enormous place cant figure out a set place to dig around.

foster2100

Reaction score
I know for myself I am a lot like you in some of the ways that you has described bit much exp digging and a huge area to look with no idea on how to find it and I've gotten some help with my questions. Some things you might want to consider though, like what types of tools you will need, if you have any help to dig it out ( it really is a lot of work and can be slow going ) and it can be dangerous yellow jackets love to hide in the dirt, snakes and all other kinds of stuff.

corrybottles

Reaction score
If there is a privy it would not be to far from the house. People didn't want to walk to far the take a dump. Do you have a probe to find the privy?

nhpharm

Reaction score
With no probe you will probably not find it. As was noted before, the privies for most rural houses are clean as a whistle...and typically hard to find because there isn't a close-by ally or property line.

anj2006

Reaction score
Without a probe it is very hard to locate. Make it easy on yourself, get a probe!! I dug 6 rural on the farm shall i say privys, and the return was not worth my while. Not saying they are all like that, but mine were. I would put my efforts on the outermost areas. Keep looking, you will find ( the spot)!!!

anj2006

Reaction score
No, i dont think. Go to the nearest junk yard. Find yourself some round stock, about 5/8's by 5 foot, weld a half inch pipe about 18 inchs long on top, and a ball bearing on the other end, grind the ball bearing to a dull point! It works and has been working for me for alot of years.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum