Extravagant Advertising for This Whiskey Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I was amazed and delighted to find this advertisement on Wikimedia. Apparently, the image is very popular because it is available in multiple sizes and exposures. The thing is, I can't figure out (beyond being eye-catching) what the harem scene has to do with Kentucky whiskey. Is one of the ladies the former or future "Belle of Nelson"?! :p

whiskey_BELLEofNELSON.jpgwhiskey_BELLEofNELSON_adv.jpg

Privyprowlerz

Reaction score
Certainly an odd advertising for whiskey, with the opium pipe and harem.

maybe someone more familiar with the product can fill us in ....

a really nice advertisement.

Jim

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
I think what they meant was: if you drink our whiskey you'll be surrounded by beautiful naked women. Lol. I don't know, just thought I would throw it out there

anj2006

Reaction score
Or drink our whiskey and you will think you will be surrounded by naked woman!!! Lmfao

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Back in the day, before the world went "modern" (during and after prohibition), bars were primarily male only. There was a bad societal connotation then for, gasp, a WOMAN who would go in a bar. In those days, a lot of the artwork in the bars involved some degree of female nudity. I think part of the theory was that the boys would get wistful and drink more hooch. You see quite a bit of hard liquor advertising with nudes from pre-pro. Don't know about the harem aspect or the interracial suggestion. Both would have been, I suspect, HIGHLY risqué back in the day.

Jim G

Interesting. Great graphic piece.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I think the male in the voluminous garb is the eunuch serving the harem, cleaning the shisha pipes in this case.

We don't know how this illustration was used . . . wall-hanging poster to drink coaster . . . because it has been reproduced and re-sized so often. I lean toward poster on a tavern wall, myself. It wouldn't have been used in a newspaper (maybe a men's magazine). Maybe it was printed as a trade card, the equivalent of a "French" postcard.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum