Two Unlisted Very Rare MD Milks Need Help On Value

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LisaH

Reaction score
So a while back we picked up these two milks from an old timer that used to work construction on the highways in the 50s. They have been shown to a couple of experienced collectors. As far we can tell they are unlisted according to the Baltimore Bottle Collectors catalog.

What would be a fair value for each of these?

IMG_0354.jpgIMG_0355.jpgIMG_0356.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0358.jpg

LisaH

Reaction score
2007 3rd Edition. We are probably referencing the same book.

The Calvert Farms has a Quart and Pint, but no 1/2 Pint.

514 - 523 ?
516 is the only similar resemblance, but there is no B1 on this version of the milk?
Baxter is embossed on the rear of this milk for reference.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
So a while back we picked up these two milks from an old timer that used to work construction on the highways in the 50s. They have been shown to a couple of experienced collectors. As far we can tell they are unlisted according to the Baltimore Bottle Collectors catalog.

What would be a fair value for each of these?

Lisa . . . If you'd like members here to evaluate your bottles, be kind enough to rotate the images before posting them.

Baltimore_Milks

Reaction score
Hi, Yes according to the book they aren't listed as far as the sizes and shape in regards to the Western Md bottle, they are known dairies which does not constitute them as rare based on different sizes. The book is very incomplete as far as sizes and known dairies. While these are nice versions of known listed dairies they are still about a $10 bottle to a collector.

Baltimore_Milks

Reaction score
The B1 mark is the glass maker, which is Buck Glass Co., the 1 stands for the year could either be 1921 or 1931 most likely 31 as its a custom mold, didn't really see those till the 30's. Where the book has the B and and the year there that is from the original writer of the book and his personal collection of bottles there are however many different years for the same bottle but that doesn't make them rare or unlisted either, just a reference for the year of that particular bottle.Myself and another member of the Baltimore Bottle Club have revamped the Milk section of the book, unfortunately not in time for the current edition in print. We have been able to remove about 10 bottles from that book that were proven to not be from Baltimore and added approximately 130 more to it as well as additional sizes known.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
There are like 5 dairies most collectors know of from my town.

In all actuality there are like 50 dairies I now know of from my town.

If each dairy gets new bottles each year and each dairy lasts for 10 years, there are at least 500 bottles now from my town.
(Bottles were often replaced as they survived only a few uses each.)

So, what I'm saying is, there will be many, many dairy bottles out there-- all sorts of unlisted sizes and companies.

Some dairies are known only by their caps.

waskey

Reaction score
Lisa, I am a little bit late to responding to this post, but saw your bottles for sale on eBay and sent you a message. The Western Maryland Dairy, although unlisted, is common. I have seen 10+ of that one. It dates to 1921 based on the style. The Calvert is fairly scarce, especially in that size. But 1/2 pint bottles seem to be the cheapest and least collectible/desirable unless someone collects the full size run. I would be interested in the Calvert Farms Dairy bottle, but not for anywhere close to your eBay listing price. Please message me if you want to sell it

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown