First use of "hobble skirt" to describe Coca-Cola bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
So far this is the only connection to Coca Cola and the Wright Brothers I'm aware of. But notice there is no use of the term "Hobble-Skirt." Not to mention that its a 1932 advertisement. In my opinion this connection is highly unlikely and extremely weak at best as having anything to do with the Hobbleskirt bottle.

Coca Cola Wright Brothers 1932.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the actual full page article that's referred to in the link I posted where it said ...

Katharine's connection to the hobble skirt seems to have begun after an article appeared in the New York Times in 1910, "The Hobble is the Latest Freak in Women's Fashion."

From ...

The New York Times ~ June 12, 1910

(Save and zoom to read)

Hobble Skirt The New York Times June 12, 1910.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jill

Even though I have not researched this topic to the enth degree, I am currently of the opinion that ...

1. There is a definite connection between the hobble skirt dress of the early 1900s and the Coca Cola hobbleskirt bottle patented in 1915 in that the similarity between the two shapes brought about the nickname for the Coca Cola bottle as evidenced by the 1919 Coca Cola ad I posted.

2. There is no viable evidence I can find to connect the Wright Brothers with the patent 1915 Coca Cola bottle that was nicknamed the "Hobbleskirt" at least as early as 1919.

However, I will keep an open mind and stand corrected in the event that something comes forth to refute my current opinion.

Respectfully,

Sodapopbob

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Lastly ...

This is the portion of the 1910 New York Times article that someone apparently tried to connect with the Wright Brothers and the 1915 Coca Cola bottle. But just as the author stated in the link I posted, there is no mention of either the Wright Brothers nor Coca Cola anywhere in the article. Somehow or another someone tried to make a connection between these so called aviation skirts and the Wright Brothers. And from there they tried to stretch it even farther as a connection to how the 1915 Coca Cola bottle got its nickname. Personally, I cannot see the connection and also believe, as the author of the link stated, that the Wright Brother connection to the hobble skirt dress is nothing more than a myth - which in turn means the so called connection between the Wright Brothers and Coca Cola is also a myth.

Hobble Skirt The New York Times June 12, 1910.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I have access to 140,000,000 pages of newspaper archives that go as far back as the 1700s, and the 1910 New York Times article I posted is the absolute earliest use of the words "hobble skirt" I can find and it appears that's where the term originated.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In other words ...

Even though the journalists' name is not shown in the 1910 article, it appears that whoever that journalist was is the individual who came up with and was the first person to ever use the words hobble skirt

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

Even though the newspaper archives I'm subscribed to includes about 140,000,000 pages, it obviously does not include every newspaper ever published. However, of the newspapers it does include, the Wichita Eagle is the only one from 1919 that uses the term "Hobble-Skirt." There are zero uses of the term from 1918 by any newspaper that are in any way related to Coca Cola ads, and only three identical ads by the Wichita Eagle during 1919.

In other words ...

Its possible The Coca Cola Bottling Company of Wichita, Kansas was the franchise bottler who invented the term and first used it in advertising in 1919. Its also possible that the owner/manager of that particular franchise singlehandedly invented the term. So I intend to do some additional research on that particular bottler and see if I can find a name or anything else that might connect the term "Hobble-Skirt" directly to them. I will be sure to return and share anything I find!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
One or both of these guys were likely responsible for the ad that used the term "Hobble Skirt Bottle" in the 1919 Wichita, Kansas newspaper. And if not directly responsible, they were surely aware of it having been published in their local newspaper.

From ...

The Wichita Eagle ~ Wichita, Kansas ~ December 17, 1919

(To be continued)

Coca Cola Wichita Eagle Dec 17, 1919 (2).jpg

Coca Cola Wichita Eagle Dec 17, 1919.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For future reference ...

Just in case one or both of these guys were involved ...

1920 U.S. Census ~ Wichita, Kansas

Name: Guy R Campbell
Birth Year: 1877
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1920: Wichita Ward 3, Sedgwick, Kansas
Street: Indiana Avenue
House Number: 302
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Maud M Campbell
Father's Birthplace: Tennessee
Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Wholesale coco-cola
Employment Field: Employer
Household Members Name Age
Guy R Campbell 43
Maud M Campbell 35
Guy R Campbell Jr. 8
Filmer M Campbell 7

Name: John C Jeffords
Birth Year: 1888
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Home in 1920: Wichita Ward 3, Sedgwick, Kansas
Street: Indiana Avenue
House Number: 316
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Ann D Jeffords
Father's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother's Birthplace: United States
Able to Speak English: Yes
Industry: Coco cola
Employment Field: Wage or Salary
Household Members Name Age
John C Jeffords 32
Ann D Jeffords 30
Douglas C Jeffords 8
Ann H Jeffords 3

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Following the March 19, 1919 use of "Hobble-Skirt" in the Wichita, Kansas newspaper, the next use of the term appears about a year later from ...

The Emporia Daily Gazette ~ Emporia, Kansas ~ April 17, 1920

Obviously a different bottler than the one in Wichita. But interesting because its from the same state

Coca Cola Hobble Skirt The Emporia Gazette Kansas April 17, 1920 headline.jpg

Coca Cola Hobble Skirt The Emporia Gazette Kansas April 17, 1920.jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum