my probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
Matt, You should be able to do a few pokes in the ground in your yard. You'll notice that the hardness of the ground stays kinda uniform as you go down so far, maybe loosening slightly when you're over halfway.(usually moisture) When you're probing a possible dump spot, the ground will be alot more loose and easy to push into, because of the layers of deteriorating material in the trash. You'll be able to tell the metal layer by the feel and sound of the probe pushing through what will seem like potatoe chips. A whole bottle will have more resonance, tink tink, but often a piece of flint or the base of a broken bottle turned just right will sound the same. A cracked or broken bottle will tink with no resonance, or sound the same as hitting a rock. I use mine after locating a point of interest, like an old foundation or a well. I poke around shallow (1 to 2 feet) until I find a soft spot or glass, then go deep to check depth and contents. I'm no expert on probing by any means of the word, but hope this helps a little.[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown