my probe

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sweetrelease

Reaction score
just got word my new probe is on it's way[:D]from a board member[;)]named john[;)]anyway for real i'm gonna try to get some work out of her in the next few weeks,so will post what if anything i find ,matt

sweetrelease

Reaction score
got it ,but now i need to learn what i'm looking for in the ground.is there a feeling in the probe i should look for?or a sound? if any of you diggers can help that would be great,you see most of my bottles have come from big constrution digs with exavator's and not by hand.so this whole probe and dig by hand thing is new to me,so if you could help it'll be great. this probe is sweet and wanted to thank john at jaken@hughes.net it is really good work thanks again,matt

madpaddla

Reaction score
Matt:

I had mine handmade by some kids in school. They attached an alluminum arrow head to it. Nothing as good as yours. I have only heard good things about it. OK....now with your probe...... Find a sand box...or if you work construction....then your in a large one already. Bury a full bottle.....bury a cracked one ...and bury a smashed bits of one.....llisten for the sounds.....Watch for how easy it goes through the soil ...I keep mine in my car all the time ......and walk the woods...walk the outskirts of your job on lunch....
What your looking for is to see the glass under the ground.....the better you are a recognizing the sounds the better off you are./ ......probes save you digging up tons of dirt if you dont have to ........so bottles are less than a foot below the ground....the Rosenthal bottle on my ebay is a prime example......found it less than a foot below the ground.....goodl luck with the probe. They are super useful......keep me posted on how it goes.
Ben

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Matt, Great that you got your probe. Ben's right. get a little pratice and then get out there and stick it in the ground every chance you get. You'll get good with time.

Boy.....I'm glad this is a bottle forum cause we sound pretty strange. Get out there and stick it in the ground.....[&:][&:][&:][sm=lol.gif]

sweetrelease

Reaction score
[:D]ya sounds kinda weird [8|],but love the help.have it in the ground and already can feel the differance in soil.,but still looking for that sound.by the way got a great map of hammonton today with all of the homes during 1812 -1966.took a ride and most are still there.time to ask to dig?? ,thanks for all the help .matt

FIGGINS DIGGINS

Reaction score
Ain't that the truth, Warren. I stick mine in the ground every chance I get, and I have learned you have to be very careful in wording a request to probe someone's crapper. Some folks just take that the wrong way don't they?lol

You guys be careful probing around where there might be any underground services, power, gas, etc. You're gonna love those klinkers when you get in 'em.

sweetrelease

Reaction score
friggins you are too funny[:D].you should of seen my wife"s face when i told her i got a probe to start probeing old crapers[:)]ti was pricless,matt

Theresa L

Reaction score
Hey Matt-- I am in Jersey too, and the one thing that I noticed about people here, they think that people that play in the dirt are low life. Also alot of yuppies here. They think that you are nuts when you ask to dig. Everything they own is gold. Just be prepared to get turned down alot. I had some luck in a small town and saw an old couple sitting on their porch and asked them if they remember anything about dumping and all, they were so nice and thought it was interesting, liked to talk, so we listened. Told us about a dumping area , not old but at least they tried. We have alot of history here, problem is they are building faster than we can dig. They care nothing about the animals or history. And this from someone that has lived here all her life. Start probing away, hope to see some pictures real soon.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac