Londonderry Lithia Spring Nashua New Hampshire Jugs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Took me nearly 20 years, but I finally have a line-up of all three variations (that I am aware of) of the Londonderry Lithia Springs 3 gallon jugs from Nashua, New Hampshire. Picked up the last one from an auction recently...just thought I would share. I've always loved accumulating New Hampshire stoneware. IMG_3995.jpg

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Very cool! I've got a book from Maine agriculture that list a load of springs and I'm sure there's one from NH somewhere (book that is) but I never heard of that one. Of coarse I don't look either.

nhpharm

Reaction score
It was a pretty prolific spring. In the early days (1880's) the stuff was distributed in these 3 gallon jugs. They marketed the stuff worldwide in the early 1900's-1920 or so. The earlier glass bottles are label only and the later ones are embossed tooled top crown tops. The water was collected in Londonderry but bottled in Nashua. This spring and the Stratham Sulfur Spring were the only ones I am aware of from New Hampshire that bottled their water in marked pottery jugs (the Stratham jugs are 5 gallon)...but the Stratham spring actually had a pretty early embossed bottle as well (extremely rare, as is the jug).

nhpharm

Reaction score
Since this post back in 2016, I have learned that there is another version of the script jug marked "Lithia Spring Water, Londonderry, N.H." There is at least a few of these floating around...if anyone sees one for sale, I'm in the market.

ArmyDigger

Bottle digger, collector, and military historian
Reaction score
oh I like these haven't seen NH jugs haven't seen many jugs except for ones from New York onwards and Mass ones.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu