Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

1850s-70s City Dump

This is not a new dump, but I basically "restarted" the dig at the bottom after I realized I had missed the oldest layer. It's a good 6-7 feet under a cap of sandy soil, but for a pontil layer it's worth the effort. And it's a lot of effort! For every 6" of dump layer you dig, the extremely unstable sand cap simply collapses, quite often filling the hole completely. Undermining is but a pipe dream, anything above a 45 degree angle collapses instantly, unless it is frozen.
    Many heartbreakers have shown themselves, as it seems that only the small bottles have survived. I have hope though, because we're at the bottom of a hill, and there's almost always more intact stuff near the top!

My digging buddy working on the hole.

A nice surprise! This J.A. Budlong & Son Providence, RI popped out of a thin layer above the pontil one. It was protected by a tin bucket.

Crier base, maybe a utility or Lyons Powder

Almost intact! Pontiled Dr. D. Jayne's Tonic Vermifuge

Another killer pontiled whiskey base

The biggest crier by far, a CAP Mason Alpine Hair Balm Providence, RI.

Oh, right, there were some whole bottles! Mostly slicks, but good age...

The best of the lot, a pontiled corset cologne!

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar
    Congrats on finding the best part of that dump!! We used to love getting to a pontiled layer here in Cali a lot, as there wernt very many that we could dig, especially in the later years of bottle digging. Most of the pontiled bottles that I dug were from outhouses in the gold country, and they were few and far between because of the rocky makeup of the area, most everything was busted. I have even dug a cologne just like the one you have pictured, again Congrats and the best of luck continuing...........Andy

Senior Member Bottle Master Bass Assassin's Avatar
    Great pictures and bottles. Hope you guys are able to pull some great finds out of there. Looking forward to your future posts and good luck

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Good images! What fun!

Definitely some promising signs. Hopefully colored pontils are coming your way. RC

Nice stuff and great potential for sure! How did you find the dump through that cap?

Mostly luck. I knew there was a lower layer, but thought it was just ash and shells. The base of the hill had been bulldozed, so it was easy to get into, but once you dug into the hill, you have this mega cap.

Enjoyed the pix and story. Thanx. Jim

Thanks for the post. I also look forward to updates as you are able to go back. There are so few pontil-era dumps unearthed these days.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    That Dyottville would've been a killer, and the Alpine too! When you've got colored pontils like that coming out, it might be worth renting something to take that top layer off.