Thread: Ingham Fake

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar

Ingham Fake

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262355968786?rmvSB=true

What set me off on this one to post on it is the Trade Mark Registered. Had it been real, it should have not said anything on that, or had said something like, Entered into The Act of Congress in The Year....

Looking at it more, the 25 Cents and that it lists the alcohol makes it pretty much guaranteed all wrong.

This is more like a 1900s label on an 1840s bottle.

The seller does not claim it is an 1840s bottle, which makes me suspicious that he knows it is not the original label.

If anyone wants to tell e-bay/bidders, they can. I currently have no account.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    Asked him where he got the label. Waiting for a reply

Senior Member Bottle Master
    The exact same labels show up on much more modern bottles; I've had one myself. Ingham sold his stuff for many years. The front label was originally rectangular and someone cropped the top to fit it on that bottle. Ingham's early (pontil-era) bottles were embossed on the two side panels. Definitely a mismatch.

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    He said he purchased the bottle in that condition with that label affixed. Purchased at the show in Baltimore, MD. Claims no other knowledge of the bottle's origin. Hmm....

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar
    That means somebody got seriously ripped off, and with 48 bids also with many of them, from 2 bidders.........
    Last edited by andy volkerts; 04-18-2016 at 04:20 AM. Reason: mistake

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    What the buyer doesn't know may or may not hurt him. If he finds out soon enough, though, the seller may be pretty hurt.
    This is where it's helpful to know things, and where you don't know.... analyze really hard and ask many people questions. LOL.