Grocery store beer bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
When I first started collecting old beer bottles many years ago I thought they only came from Breweries. Then I get some not listed in any Brewery book because they came from a Saloon. Thought it was odd a Saloon would sell there own bottles with there Saloon name on it. Then I get a bottle from not a Brewery, Not a Saloon, Not a bottler, BUT, a Grocery store. How Many Grocery stores sold there own Grocery Beer Bottles in 1800's? LEON. Gallagher.jpgGallagherCloseup.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Can't be many, I've seen a few old soda brands, such as Jitney Jungle, an old grocery chain. But there are a few marked stoneware beer and whiskey jugs with a grocer's name.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Hey Leon, there weren't that many. I know of a couple on the east coast and seems like I heard of one out west but you don't see them very often. That's a good find you have.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Hey Leon, there weren't that many. I know of a couple on the east coast and seems like I heard of one out west but you don't see them very often. That's a good find you have.

Yeah, You gotta remember there was no giant Grocery store Chains in the 1870's. Only little small Mom & Pop Operations. LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I know of Schwegmann's in New Orleans, they had a beer, Schwegmann's Bock, the cans go for big money.

Better yet was the Rosalie Beer can sold in Church Point Louisiana by Church Point Wholesale Grocery in 1939. Also sold in Louisiana in 1939 was Tiger beer. I'll pay $10,000 cash to anybody that has one of these cans MINT 1+ Condition. LEON.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
We used to shoot those old Tiger Beer cans with our BB guns when I was a kid, lol

Last edited:

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Leon, do you have a photo of one you can show us. Would love to see what it looks like. Is this the same beer that was made/bottled in Asia?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp