Panamint City California

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
IMG_4272.jpgIMG_4339.jpgIMG_4224.jpgIMG_4293.jpgIMG_4277.jpgI went for a little jaunt with my sister and my mother to Panamint City, California this past week. Not the easiest place to get to (pretty much a full day hike to get out there) but a fascinating place for sure. Lots of open mine shafts and tunnels, lots of ruins, lots of beautiful minerals, and lots of broken glass, including some heartbreaking stuff. Even some pictoglyphs! I'm sure some digging went on before the place was added to the National Park...although there was not much evidence of that. Saw several broken pieces of Old Valley Whiskey flasks, cathedral peppersauces, and Log Cabin Bitters bottles.

nhpharm

Reaction score
That appeared to actually be a mine shaft. I could not see bottom but it was a long ways down. There were a number of these in random locations...looks like people blindly sinking shafts on a claim in the hope they might hit something.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I'm with you on that...digging here in east Texas can be quite wet. Not up there though...Panamint is in the mountains of Death Valley.

nhpharm

Reaction score
It was a very cool hike. Half way up there is a spring called "Brewery Spring" and a foundation next to it that I would imagine was the brewery.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yep...was in the low 30's at night and upper 50's during the day. I wouldn't want to do that hike in the summer...the upper portion of the hike has no shade at all!

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
That appeared to actually be a mine shaft. I could not see bottom but it was a long ways down. There were a number of these in random locations...looks like people blindly sinking shafts on a claim in the hope they might hit something.

Some of those mine shafts, you can’t see the bottom of! (Vertical shaft mines) I threw a big rock in, it bounced and bounced and bounced down into the distance, for about a minute. That mine shaft was big enough that they dumped a Jeep into it- flat scary! That town, Panamint, looks interesting. Is it in,the sierras, too? And the town above Bodie...I just want to check that out. Isn’t there another ghosts town that mark twain used to frequent... as you come into Bodie, going that same direction but past Bodie & down hill- that direction? (Past where they made the Chinese guy and any Indians live, Bellow the silver mine)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18