Something worth writing about....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Well, been doin' my share of diggin' lately, just not my share of findin' until recently. Got to digging in a site that was all over the map with age and looked like a wall dump. Got to scratching around and discovered the appearance of a wall with a few bottles crushed into the wall itself. Got digging a little deeper and came up with a broken Hoss with Wm Mc C and those lovely serpentine s's in a nice light amber with a hint of olive! Then another busted Hoss, or so I thought at first. The shard had the letter "R", but was high up on the panel and wouldn't match any Hoss as it wasn't followed by an "S". As I pulled out more pieces it became clear it was something I was unfamiliar with. One piece had the letters HOFFHE...and BROTHE. Another panel was embossed...ART.../and BITTER! I kept thinking it might have read cathARTic bitters but the lettering was off. I thought maybe heART bitters but that too didn't quite seem to fit. Only after wearing my glasses did I realize the lettering I had to work with was ARI not art. I later was able to figure out it was a Hoffheimer Brothers Bavarian Bitters out of Cincinnati and St. Louis. A few minutes later I find a bitters panel and I can feel embossing on the backside panel but none on the others so I figured it was a Hoss. It was, and not an early McCully and I was singing the blues until I noticed the base embossed I G Co. So it was at least an early tool top. Then I pulled out a light cobalt blue shoulder to what I thought could be a Solomon's Bitters, since I was hitting an odd bitters grouping. Turned out to be my second broken one of these in as many years-- a "London Royal Imperial Gin"! It was all there but crushed into at least 100 pieces. But the bottle goddess was saving the best for last....

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpg
    IMG_3835.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 266
  • MVI_3836.jpg
    MVI_3836.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 227
  • MVI_3836-001.jpg
    MVI_3836-001.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 213
  • MVI_3836-004.jpg
    MVI_3836-004.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 252
  • MVI_3836-003.jpg
    MVI_3836-003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 233

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Here are pics of the criers, the Hoffheimer & London Royal....IMG_3832.jpgIMG_3845.jpg

Last edited:

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
The best fell into my lap quite literally, embossed side down. I thought "OOH, a Warner's Safe Cure", but it was better.....MUCH better. I had read about these a while back on Peachridge and had revisited it about a week before digging this one. I about had a cardiac! I knew they were super rare so I never expected to dig one, and in perfect condition! This one made up for a bunch of deep, crappy (pun intended) pits! Embossed Brown's/Aromatic/Bitters/Hannibal/Mo. Has an early unembossed hinge mold base. I thought about retiring on this one but it would take a boatload like the Bertrand, Arabia or Republic cargos to get me to stop slinging dirt! HA! JackIMG_3882.JPGIMG_3882.JPGIMG_3893.JPGIMG_3894.JPG

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Woa Jack! That is a killer bottle! I'd say it has been worth the dry spell you've been through. Holy cow, what a find! I was reading about all the criers you were finding and then you pull this ace from your sleeve. A great big congratulations to you! And thanks for all the photos! Really enjoyed this post

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Thanks Mark! I figure it is the 3rd rarest bottle I have ever found over the years and arguably the most sought after local bottle. There are a couple others that are just as rare and I've dug pieces to one, keeping me hopeful....BTW, I happened to notice we have the same birthdays and it is also Sam "Mark Twain" Clemens, as well as my puppy's! Funny that! Jack

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice Bitters, Congrats, Makes me wanta go dig. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
Man, what a great find! That embossing is fantastic! It looks so close to pontil age.

Also, I love the pictures of the bottles coming right out of the dirt.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Now that is an awesome find! Got to love finding the local stuff for sure!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Beautiful bottle. I love the embossing font on this with so much lettering overall! I sure hope this is a Keeper for you. I have several local patent medicines with age -- but the local bitters are all well out of my price range. Great find!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky