Something worth writing about....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
As always Jack, you are a great story teller and make the start of the day much better for me. If I had dug that bottle I would have to start collecting BITTERS again. FANTASTIC ! ! !
Jim

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hey Jim, did you check out my post about the Gun Wa bottle I dug in December? Check it out if you missed it. It was a bizarre and fun dig....Jack

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Jim, PS- the pics in that story didn't upload first time so I had to add them at the end of post.....and it's a long-ass story! Jack

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks Mark! I figure it is the 3rd rarest bottle I have ever found over the years and arguably the most sought after local bottle. There are a couple others that are just as rare and I've dug pieces to one, keeping me hopeful....BTW, I happened to notice we have the same birthdays and it is also Sam "Mark Twain" Clemens, as well as my puppy's! Funny that! Jack
Oh man, don't get me started on Mark Twain, he is my favorite author! So what do you this bottle is valued at? I was snooping around on line and there's not that many around

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
If you go to the Peachridge glass web site and search "browns Hannibal" there is a great article about the proprietor and the bottle showcased was sold in 2009 for $1700 plus 17% buyers premium, making it close to 2G's! So far I can't find any others and apparently there is an aqua variant, but the amber only became known in more recent years. The one in the article is advertised by the auction as circa 1875-85 but I am certain mine has all the characteristics of a mid-late 60's bottle. Their bottle apparently has a C embossed on the base whereas mine is a crude key mold. Check out the article, it's a good read. Only issues is they state Hannibal is Samuel Clemens birthplace, when in fact, Florida Mo. is. Hannibal is billed as "The Boyhood Home Of Samuel Clemens." AKA "America's Hometown." It is Hannibal where he grew up and used his classmates as characters for his early writings we all know, but you likely knew all that already.....Jack PS- google bottleauctionprices and check out D&C Dealers & Collectors. It is a great resource for auction prices on mostly the higher end stuff. They list this one as the only amber one auctioned off. There were 2 aqua ones listed, one in 2002 for $1045 and one in the 1990's for $200.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up Jack. I will definitely read those articles. That is a killer bottle. When you made your first post I was thinking to myself that one had to be at 1870 just by the crudity and the lip.

bottlediggingcop

Reaction score
That's awesome. I'm happy for you Jack. Did you shoot Ferdinand Meyer from PeachridgeGlass an email about finding the bottle? He'd love to hear about the discovery as he has purchased one in the past.
Mike.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
That's awesome. I'm happy for you Jack. Did you shoot Ferdinand Meyer from PeachridgeGlass an email about finding the bottle? He'd love to hear about the discovery as he has purchased one in the past.
Mike.

Thanks for the idea Mike! I had not until you suggested it and he replied this am that as far as he knows his was the only one until now! I sent him pics and he is doing a comparison, as there were some noted differences in the auction catalogue, mainly a C embossed on the base of his compared to a un-embossed key mold on mine, and possibly color shade difference. Thanks again for the idea and kind response. Jack

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi