asian stoneware bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pmurphy

Reaction score
Hi,
I originally posted this in the "after 1900" forum but have since been told it may be upwards of 300-400 years old. Can anyone help me identify this bottle.
It was found among my grandmother's possession when she passed away. I have now had this bottle for 20+ years but have always been curious about it because I have no idea where she would have got it from or why - she was not into collecting things such as this. Her parents were of English descent and she was born and raised in a small town on the Canadian prairies so I have no idea now she would have acquired an Asian bottle.

img_3397 - 1.jpgimg_3398 - 1.jpgIMG_3399.jpg

sunrunner

Reaction score
first off it is very hard with chines ceramics to determine the age . good reproductions are known to exist . I am not saying your vas is a reproduction , it looks good to me ,just to let you know how precise the dating must be . the bottle looks to be at lest 14th century, when the west started trading heavily with the east.

pmurphy

Reaction score
Thank you for your input sunrunner,
I don't suppose you would have any suggestions as to where I could turn for additional information; forums etc? I have been trying off and on for years to figure out what this "thing" - bottle, vase ? - is and have had no luck. On other forums I get lots of lookers but no helpful responses; I can't seem to find any that specialize in Asian identification and have even tried antique dealers where I either get no response or "I'll give you $ for it".
I'm not looking to sell the item, just trying to determine what made it so special to my grandmother that she kept it among her other "treasured" possessions when it was clearly not her style.

sunrunner

Reaction score
I once new a chines art dealer in Tarpon Springs Fl who has a shop on Dodecanese Av. don't remember his name , but you may have some luck looking him up . the guy new everything.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I wonder if Haide might be able to translate that. I'm guessing probably not though, I have a feeling that's an older version of Chinese. It looks very different from the Chinese characters that you usually see. I'm very interested to know what it says though. If it is from 3-400 years ago that's a lot of writing for a bottle that old.

As for how she acquired it I'm guessing she bought it from a curio/antique shop or was given it as a gift from someone who collected antiques. It doesn't look like something that made it to Canada containing a beverage.

haide

Reaction score
It's classical Chinese and was written in cursive,that's extremely difficult to read,I can recognize some characters but it doesn't mean anything,because classical Chinese is likely another language from modern vernacular Chinese.If you would post some closer photos including all of the characters,maybe I could translate it more or less.By now I can only give fragments as"pavillion by the sea","estuary","three".

I only have few 100+ years old porcelains,so I can't tell the age of this one,but I can say it's absolutely old piece,the drawing is a bit scrawl,but the calligraphy is quite nice,wish I would have one with the awesome cursive calligraphy like this!

There are my 2 porcelains,the beauty reads——up to down,right to left——“dowry poetry,amorous thoughts of spring in sixteen——written by Zhi Wu in Chang Jiang,midwinter of 1895” .
1.jpg2.jpg

Another one was written in regular script,in which were most glass bottles embossed,I think this is more Chinese for you,CanadianBottles~
However,it's classical Chinese and difficult to understand,maybe it's just a fragment of some article,souds mysterious when I try:"move to plant potential energy,stay for the moment,move like within a god,stay..."the last sentence is unreasonable...
p2228901191.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu