Barq's Root Beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
I realize Barq's may be a regional root beer but I was just curious if anyone here has any of the older bottles from turn-of-century or even the teens. Until today I didn't know this drink originated in southern MS and New Orleans. I would like to see some of those earlier bottles if anyone has something to share.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks, I was just wondering what those early bottles looked like, you know the labels, etc. I read earlier today that Barq's was first bottled in 1898

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
Hi Bass Assassin, that time period is before my collecting window, but it may help you to know that Barq's is probably the most commonly misspelled soda name (as "Barg's"), followed by "Tru-Me", "Nulcy", and "One Tall". :)

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Here's a link to a post on here about one of the first Barq's bottles, which was a Hutchinson. I'm pretty sure Barq's Root Beer originated with this company from Biloxi, Mississippi. I've also seen some straight sided bottles from this bottler.
b_133159.jpg

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks ACL. I think at some point the father and son split up and the son went to New Orleans and began his own bottling operation. One was using a blue label and the other used a red label.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bass

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but in order to find the earliest Barq's bottles you need to reference ...

Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works

... which included the earlier Hutchinson bottles that transitioned into the later straight sided bottles. The Artesian Bottling Works existed before Edward Barq (Pronounced 'Bark') bought the company. The bottles from the teens were embossed with Biloxi Artesian Bottling Works - E. Barq Prop.

[ Original Location - Biloxi, Mississippi ]

Barq's Artesian Bottling Biloxi Mississippi.jpg

[ Sample of early 1900s bottles - Notice that one of them is embossed with Coca Cola ]

Barq's Bottles with Coca Cola.jpg

[ 1935 Patent - Standard diamond embossed bottle ]

Barq's Patent 1935 (2).jpg

[ I believe this is their first ACL - But not sure if it dates before or after the 1935 patent bottle ]

(Notice it does not have the diamond embossing)

Barq's Bottle ACL.jpg

Regarding early (teens) paper labels - I haven't found one yet but still searching ...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18