Documenting the 10oz diet 7up from Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well two years ago if you told me a Canadian first generation 'Like' can would show up and I would have it in my possession....I would of said your off your rocker!:p...lol...BTW I have seen 1 other now. Thanks for posting the NDNR...yes they may be USA but it gives us a great indication that they are up here hiding. 7up would have been pretty strict on brand packaging and bottlers would have had to change to the new ACL...especially over a 3-4 year span.
This is the can that pretty much proves to me at least that the ACL's in question are out there....I'm a believer!;)

Second generation Canadian 'Like'
Like-gen2.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
An NDNR Like bottle definitely exists, in fact at least two do - both embossed and ACL: http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/throwaway/LIKE.html Mind you, those bottles are American, so I can't say for certain whether or not a Canadian version exists.

I'm not so convinced on the white and pink/blue/yellow one existing in Canada though, it seems odd that no examples could be found of such a major brand. I've never heard of the bottle until now. I don't know why they would use the cans and not the bottles though, so anything's possible. It's a really difficult brand to research with a name like that.

after looking at the picture of the " like " embossed ndnr bottle can tell you with 100% certainty that was the broken ndnr bottle I found at the dump other day , if it was American or Canadian is impossible to say as that dump was a tourist dump and contains bottles from all over

64south

Reaction score
I have seen a Like Like bottle in an antique shop. I know I have but didn't bother with it for some reason, can't say if it was an American or Canadian bottle or what color combo it was? I picked it up and passed on it. I would have only bought it to flip it so it was to much $ or I just didn't think it was desirable. Next one I see will have to bring it home if not to much $

Canadacan

Reaction score
Just near the end of July a friend of mine in Calgary confirmed my suspicions as to the existence of the 'Like Like' bottle!....how exciting to see this rare example of the earliest blue version...it is dated 1967, made by Dominion glass at the Redcliff Alberta plant....I'm so jealous he has this bottle!

Like-1.jpgLike-2.jpgLike-3.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh wow, so it does exist! I wonder how I've gone all this time without ever seeing even a shard of one. I quite like the design, I'm sure that I'd have remembered if I did ever see one. I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for one now.

iggyworf

Reaction score
Too bad it is at a high price. Nice one. I have an American embossed 'Like' bottle.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Check out what I just came across on Facebook Marketplace, a small (7oz?) bilingual white/yellow Like!
Yea it sure looks Like...lol!... a 7oz?... I wonder what happened to the white lettering? Thanks for posting!

Canadacan

Reaction score
I some how missed posting my LIKE LIKE !!! I got this one back in the middle of summer, my first one and hopefully not the last...I'd love to add the other colours.
And now I really need to ad a can to go with the bottle....and I also see the LIKE LIKE NDNR's are surfacing in Canada!..how fantastic!

20191008_193421.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
A few more things to post from the begining of the Like saga. First is this ad dated Aug 1964, I had always asumed that the product debuted in 1963..if it did it was probably late 63, I have yet to find anything dated to that year but it's still possible that is correct. Then I had very recently discoveded this first generation carton...it is Canadian as per the 'TRADE MARK' on the front.

7up LIKE- The Ottawa Citizen, 27 Aug 1964, Thu, Page 36
7up LIKE-  The Ottawa Citizen, 27 Aug 1964, Thu, Page 36 .jpg

This carton is very close to the USA version, I don't think there were too many variations on this carton...maybe only slight ones because sometime in 1967 they redesigned the bottle and carton.
I'm assuming 67 because of the bottle date code from a friends bottle.

7up-LIKE carton-first generation style-posible Canadian.jpg

This is the second generation carton (Canadian), again I assume 1967, it's possible the change happened late 66 but I have no information to substantiate that.
Like soda carton (2) - Copy.jpg

Early this year my friend was lucky enough to acquire the pink one!...lucky guy!!!
One thing I noticed was a USA ad from 1968 and the carton depicted showed multiple colors on the bottle, I was under the impression that each color was released or corresponded to a particular year, but the ad suggests otherwise. And besides that the bottles in this picture are both date coded Sep/Oct 1967 and my blue is dated 1968. So it would appear that all colors were released at the same time.
received_2107805916187151.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu