Pure Milk Corporation Limited - hamilton ontario milk jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
yard sale find from the weekend , at a sale they had 2 milk jugs for sale , this one and an amber Hamilton dairy jug with some minor damage and a small crack and wanted way too much for it . didn't want very much for this one its also from Hamilton
the amber one is listed in some bottle price guides and saw online some amber pure milk jugs , sellers were asking a lot for them but unsure what a clear one would be worth or how hard they are to find . I'm not that familiar with milk jugs so though I'd post it to learn more about it , it looks fairly old maybe 20's or 30's era ?

P5220001.jpgP5220014.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a nice one, looks quite old. I don't expect it to be worth too much unfortunately, it seems that clear embossed Ontario milks are rarely worth all that much and this seems to have been a fairly prolific dairy. I'd guess somewhere in the vicinity of $10-20. Ottawa has an amber milk which goes for pretty good money, but the clear versions rarely go above ten dollars. I'd like to own an amber embossed Canadian milk (did they make Canadian amber ACL's?) but they always go for prices way above my price range. Guess I can only hope to find one one day in the wild, or at a garage sale. I've found Ottawa milks at garage sales before, including one that I've never seen again anywhere else, but both were clear embossed ones.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
I figure that the clear Hamilton Pure Milk is probably harder to find than the amber variant. About 25 years ago the City of Hamilton undertook a huge reconfiguration of its sewer system to deal with flooding. Some of the construction unearthed large parts of a municipal landfill dating from the 1890s through to the early 1900s. Dozens and dozens of the amber Pures came up in the digging. Presumably so did lots of clears, but those grabbing stuff from the site focussed their attention on colour, on account of expedience. By the way, this really bummed me out since so, so many clear drugstore and other medicine bottles were left behind. At least this is what a few diggers told me at the time.

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
on the topic of Hamilton , has anyone else heard anything about this group and there clean up of that area ? http://www.stewardsofcootes.ca/

I saw a story on the news a couple weeks back about a group that is cleaning up just about every stream and creek around Cootes bay in Hamilton , sounds like they have removed a lot of items , although sites doesn't mention anything about bottles or antiques but I'd be surprised if they haven't at least uncovered a few bottles and milk jugs from Hamilton by now , but they have cleaned the area up according to site

To date:
At
143Cleanup Events
Volunteers have worked hard for
6,615Hours in the field
Removing an impressive...
4,764Bags of garbage
514Tires
127Grocery carts
113,725 lbsRubble
38,667 lbsScrap metal
Making a total of:
235,754 lbsRemoved from the Cootes Watershed!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum