Archaeology student looking for an I.D. on a shard..

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

eandre18

Reaction score
IMG_1528.jpg
Archaeology student here! Found this piece of container glass on a 19th century plantation in NC. It was found in pretty disturbed ground, with artifacts ranging from a paleolithic arrow head to modern day plastic. I was hoping someone recognized the type and could possibly give a brand/name. Looks like theres two lines of text: on the first line, a big "T" and the second line "R" "O" "N" and a possible "O" "C" or "G". Any information you could possibly give will help!

RCO

Reaction score
that's so little to go by , sometimes I'm able to identify shards but mostly only for bottles I'm familiar with or have more writing on them , I'm not sure there is enough there to identify it

andy volkerts

Reaction score
as RCO said, too little info unless a person is aquainted with that exact bottle. Sometimes you can fid other pieces and put together enough embossing to figure out what you have, go back and arky some more!!!

Mudbug

Reaction score
My neck hurts from looking at it so long :eek:,,,, and like others have stated, there's very little to go by,but I'll put my 2 cents worth in:
Since you found it in disturbed ground and mixed in with other aged debris, I'd say it looks to be a soda pop or a medicine from around the late 1800's to early 1900's, possibly from the local area.
This is just a guess, judging by the lack of patina and the general "look" of the glass piece.

midway49

Reaction score
How about "strong" for the bottom line?

eandre18

Reaction score
Good news guys! I found out that it's more than likely from an Atlas / Strong Shoulder Mason Jar

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp