Pepsi Cola - 3 Rivers Glass, Tupelo MISS

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jblaylock

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I wanted to post a few photos of my newest bottle and see if anyone has any info.

It's a clear glass that likely had a paper label on it. This means, it's likely from the 30s. It has a frosted neck with a modified Double Dot Pepsi logo on it. There is a small '4' near the base. The bottom has Tupelo MISS 12 FL OZ, and 3 R * 7 on it.

I bought this on eBay, and mainly wanted it because I thought the embossed Pepsi logo was a Single Dot logo. It appeared that way in the photos. However, after receiving it, I realized it's the Double-Dot logo, but modified. The script is a little different and there are no dots in the logo. I'm curious about the bottle and the rarity of it. I'm also curious about the 3 River Glass. Has anyone ever seen one of these before or have any information about it.

IMG_20160606_213316-01.jpeg IMG_20160606_213335.jpg IMG_20160606_213354.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Josh, nothing in the Ayers guides? I know you have them. I have them also but skimmed thru and couldn't find that one. Very cool. I have never seen that one before. Good score.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I'll check a Mississippi embossed soda guide tomorrow . I've seen a lot of Tupelo soda bottles , but not that one. Good score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jblaylock

Reaction score
I'll check a Mississippi embossed soda guide tomorrow . I've seen a lot of Tupelo soda bottles , but not that one. Good score!

Awesome, that would be helpful, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jblaylock

Reaction score
Josh, nothing in the Ayers guides? I know you have them. I have them also but skimmed thru and couldn't find that one. Very cool. I have never seen that one before. Good score.
Didn't see any bottles from Tupelo.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CreekWalker

Reaction score
I have the old printed guide from the gono website, which was the Museum of Beverage Containers in Nashville Tn. Very good reference , but it does not show a Pepsi bottle from Tupelo until the ACL era. I have one more resource to check, if I can find it. That may well, be the rarest embossed Pepsi in the southeast!

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
That's a nice bottle irregardless of what we find out about it. Thanks for posting it

CreekWalker

Reaction score
No it wasn't listed in an old SE soda bottle guide. Most small town Pepsi's in the south was from a centralized distributor , in a large city, unlike Coca-Cola, who marked every bottle with a small town. All the Pepsi bottles found from the 1930's and back in my area , are from Memphis and perhaps Nashville. If I had one marked with any small town around Memphis, it would the find of a lifetime!

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
The 3R* or Three Rivers* indicate it is from The Three Rivers Glass Co. in Three Rivers, Texas from 1922 to 1937, when it was bought out by Ball. There are some bottles that have Ball* and that indicates they were made in Three Rivers in either in 1938 or 1939 when they shut down the co. Your bottle is probably the last of the Three Rivers Glass Co in 1937.
This is a good way of dating some bottles also.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Josh

Have you seen the accounts that say Elvis Presley worked at the Tupelo Pepsi Cola plant when he was a teenager? Some of the same accounts say that Elvis' farther, Vernon, worked there before Elvis did. I'm not sure of the dates other than Elvis was born in 1935 and would have been a teenager between 1948 and 1954. Like I said, I'm not sure when his father started working there other than it was apparently before Elvis started.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu